Where's the outrage over gas prices?

I need some clarification before I respond. "Taking money from business...?"

In order for government to have money, it has to be collected, as you know, through taxes. That is the only way government can have money. Government is taking money from other businesses and giving it to another. We see the immediate benefit of doing this in that specific area, however, we are overlooking the impact this has on a community and other businesses. Long term, this is not a good idea.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did something today I had not done since 2007.....put $100 in the tank. And in 2007 I did that in Chicago.

I just did that today in Lexington.

Prices are as high as the spike of 2007 when the price of oil shot to $140. Its 'only' $96 right now.

Something is amiss. Not sure what but the historical oil/gas connection has disconnected or there is a new connection and is supposed to be the new normal.

Could it be that our dollar has dropped that much in value since 2007?

In order for government to have money, it has to be collected, as you know, through taxes. That is the only way government can have money. Government is taking money from other businesses and giving it to another. We see the immediate benefit of doing this in that specific area, however, we are overlooking the impact this has on a community and other businesses. Long term, this is not a good idea.

I wanted to make sure I was following.

My argument would be that we have so much wasted tax $$ today that it would be easy to justify for this particular situation.

IMO this issue has the largest impact on our economy of any issue out there. Therefore, I think it's wise for govt to use $$ to encourage entrepreneurs. Could be in the form of a business loan. Could be in tax credits. Come on. We give tax credits TODAY to the oil industry . We can't do the same for something that has the potential to have a great impact on our economy and future?
I agree on the credits as long as it isn't above what was paid in.

Could it be that our dollar has dropped that much in value since 2007?

That should affect the price of oil - and it has.

And when the dollar loses its value as the worlds reserve currency - look out!

But the relationship between oil and gas at the pump should not vary on the dollar since both are in dollars. I think.

• 2 years later...