Thoughts on non-district schedule..

Looking at some schools and who they play, what do you think is a better way of preparing for district play. Schedlue bigger better schools where you may take a L but learn more about your team and become better that way, or play teams same size or smaller talent wise and rack up wins and a lot of confidence in your players heading into games that really matter? I vote to try to schedule as many bigger more talented teams as possible. You may take a few butt kickings but at the same time you will find so much more about what you need to improve on before it comes time to play schools your own size. I understand scheduling isnt easy but just a thought. Anyone else......

The "Taking a few butt Kickings" way of doing things has worked pretty well for Central over the last several years. I know our coach radically improved Somerset's schedule when the contracts from the last coach expired...may take some lumps but should definitely get your team ready come district and playoff time.

As an average team, I think it is best to schedule 25% you will win barring something unforeseen, 50% you should win if you play well, and 25% you better be on your "A" game to have a chance. Never schedule games where you will get beat handily or win handily. You learn nothing from them. Did this when I coached many moons ago.

Being a 6A school we do schedule some lower class schools. We always start out with Corbin. This has become a very competitive series of games. Next is Montgomery Co, big rival game and too always competitive. Next we fill in with Lexington Schools and Scott Co. In most years they are usually always ranked teams. We added Harlan Co last year. One of the better teams in their class.

I think if you are a coach taking over a program that has struggled you need wins so you schedule teams that you believe win give you wins. These wins hopefully build confidence in your team. Also winning helps increase your numbers over the years.

But there comes a point once you have turned things around, that you need to start scheduling up to build for the district and playoffs. If all you do is schedules for wins you generally end your season with a quick playoff loss.

I agree with Coach Buckett. Bracken Co. really got set up with the schedule they have now. It's several long bus rides, but excitement is building in brooksville because they've won 8 of their last 13 games in 2 years. numbers are up, support is climbing. Now how they set the next two years will say a lot about the future of the program...

I think if you are a coach taking over a program that has struggled you need wins so you schedule teams that you believe win give you wins. These wins hopefully build confidence in your team. Also winning helps increase your numbers over the years.

But there comes a point once you have turned things around, that you need to start scheduling up to build for the district and playoffs. If all you do is schedules for wins you generally end your season with a quick playoff loss.

I was going to say it depends what stage of development your program is in, but you essentially beat me to it.