Benchmark Bourbon

theguru

Blanton's is made in Bardstown? I thought it was a Buffalo Trace brand which I think is in Frankfort???????

It is, I just meant that a lot of folks here in Bardstown think their bourbon poop don't stink just because they are from here. I do like Blanton's. Evan Williams is my first shelf grab for a double-shot at the end of a tough day, they are Heaven Hill, which is right around the corner. The charcoal in the air from the distillery peppers my house every day.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like sweet which is why it appeals to me. I think it is similar to Jim.

Benchmark used to be called something else, I don't remember what. There was an old restaurant here called Dagwood's that used it in all of its mixers.

I don't care for it. It is too sweet for me. I think it is adequate as a cocktail mixer with Coke or ginger ale, but do not prefer it as a general house sippin' whiskey. Much prefer Blanton's or Evan Williams.

Will confess some bias and Bardstown bourbon snobbery on this issue.

Used to drink a lot of Blantons. Now it's Woodford. Henry does the booze shopping. Really don't know why we switched. I like both a lot. Also quite the fan of the Van Winkle stuff. Julian, aka Pappy, was a Centre grad in the late 1800's.

Of course, when it's time for light bourbon drinking, it's either KT or KG and diet coke. I wouldn't dare mix Blantons, Woodford or Van Winkle with anything other than ice (and even then I worry about the ghost of Pappy coming back to haunt me).

May try and make it to the Bourbon fest one of these years. May need to borrow a couch for the evening.

For those that don't get Garden and Gun magazine (it's a great mag by the way) here's a link to an article in their latest edition on the Van Winkle bourbons: http://gardenandgun.com/article/julian-p-van-winkle

I don't care for it. It is too sweet for me. I think it is adequate as a cocktail mixer with Coke or ginger ale, but do not prefer it as a general house sippin' whiskey. Much prefer Blanton's or Evan Williams.

Will confess some bias and Bardstown bourbon snobbery on this issue.

Should have invested in that place when I started drinking it, all I hardly drink any more.

For those that don't get Garden and Gun magazine (it's a great mag by the way) here's a link to an article in their latest edition on the Van Winkle bourbons: Julian-Van-Winkle | Garden and Gun

I read the article, these quotes jumped out at me:

"The early Weller whiskeys were “rectified” with flavoring and coloring
agents, and proof was often corrected with grain alcohol. Years later, as president of the Stitzel-Weller Distillery, after Pappy had become a vehement, exacting crusader for traditionally manufactured bourbon, he was asked about his early perfidies in the rectifying trade. “There’s no one purer than a reformed prostitute” was his reply."

"Van Winkle’s humble manner with a whiskey that critics herniate themselves describing is rooted in an abiding family aversion to high science and cold connoisseurship. His grandfather Julian P. “Pappy” Van Winkle (he appears lipping a stogie on the labels that bear his name) “had a sign at the old distillery that said, ‘No Chemists Allowed,’” Julian says. “He didn’t have a lab, just some litmus paper and a hydrometer to get the proof right. He believed all you need to make fine bourbon are Mother Nature and Father Time.”"

"“We’re the opposite of the Walmart business model: high profit and almost no volume at all.” "

"A long unremembered moment returns to me: my first drink with my late grandfather. I ordered a bourbon and Coke. He made a face like I’d called him a name. “A bourbon and what?” he said. I have not revisited the barbarism since."

"You can taste the patience, the care, the craft. You know you’re tasting something that’s been aged properly without cutting corners. Their [motto] says it all,” adds Brock, citing a creed stamped on a plaque that Pappy hung at the entrance of the Stitzel-Weller distillery: “‘At a profit if we can, at a loss if we must, but always fine bourbon.’"

Now, there is no question in my mind that Pappy Van Winkle, particularly if you can afford to get a taste of the 20 year, is the top commercially-available bourbon. I thought the thread topic was everyday bourbon. But hell a bottle of 20 year Pappy is about a $250 investment. They fight over that stuff when you're dead.

Used to drink a lot of Blantons. Now it's Woodford. Henry does the booze shopping. Really don't know why we switched. I like both a lot. Also quite the fan of the Van Winkle stuff. Julian, aka Pappy, was a Centre grad in the late 1800's.

Of course, when it's time for light bourbon drinking, it's either KT or KG and diet coke. I wouldn't dare mix Blantons, Woodford or Van Winkle with anything other than ice (and even then I worry about the ghost of Pappy coming back to haunt me).

May try and make it to the Bourbon fest one of these years. May need to borrow a couch for the evening.

For those that don't get Garden and Gun magazine (it's a great mag by the way) here's a link to an article in their latest edition on the Van Winkle bourbons: Julian-Van-Winkle | Garden and Gun

I LOVE Garden and Gun.

Now, there is no question in my mind that Pappy Van Winkle, particularly if you can afford to get a taste of the 20 year, is the top commercially-available bourbon. I thought the thread topic was everyday bourbon. But hell a bottle of 20 year Pappy is about a $250 investment. They fight over that stuff when you're dead.
The 20 isn't that high but the 23 is.

I'm REALLY showing my bourbon snobbery...

Used to drink a lot of Blantons. Now it's Woodford.

Surprises me how many people list Woodford as one of their favorites. While it is good, I find so many similar priced bourbons better ie. Basil Hayden, Bookers, Buffalo Trace, 1792, Bulleit, etc. If you are willing to pay more, Jefferson Reserve is a wonderful bourbon.

Surprises me how many people list Woodford as one of their favorites. While it is good, I find so many similar priced bourbons better ie. Basil Hayden, Bookers, Buffalo Trace, 1792, Bulleit, etc. If you are willing to pay more, Jefferson Reserve is a wonderful bourbon.

I enjoy BH and Bookers; not so much a fan of the other 3. I just don't enjoy the taste as much. Haven't tried Jefferson Reserve.

I enjoy BH and Bookers; not so much a fan of the other 3. I just don't enjoy the taste as much. Haven't tried Jefferson Reserve.

Funny, the other three are among my favorites lol.

If you can get past the $50 price tag, you have a very nice bourbon when you by Jefferson Reserve.

I always have at least 3 bottles of bourbon in my liquor cabinet: Blanton's, Basil Hayden, and Jim Beam (4 year is fine by me as a cheapie, but I prefer the 7). ...right now I've got 7 bottles if you add the Eagle Rare, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Elijah Craig Small Batch, and Four Roses Single Barrel.

I try to change up the "additionals" that I keep. I like Booker's a good deal, and Buffalo Trace works it's way into my cabinet somewhat frequently. I think Bulleit Rye is an interesting change up if people want to try something different - it's not one of the crazy expensive small batch ryes, but it will give you a good idea of what a rye whiskey should taste like in my opinion. 1792 is kind of overpriced for what you're getting, if you ask me. Give me Buffalo Trace any day over 1792.