Central looked like they were going to be an offensive dynamo right out of the gate when they drove nearly 80 yards on the first possession, but they stalled out around the Mayfield 10 and turned it over on downs (side note - WC is missing their kicker from the past two years, and that is really hurting them as a field goal was not an option). After that, the two teams slugged it out defensively for the rest of the quarter. Then each team suffered a special teams breakdown that led to an opponent TD, and finished the half with an offensive score apiece to make it 14-13 at halftime.

The third quarter is where Central started to get the breaks and start wearing Mayfield down. Mayfield throwing an INT right to the Dragon defense to kill a drive in Dragon territory was the first nail in the coffin. Central rapidly drove 70 yards for the score via a 55 yd TD pass. Mayfield then turned it over deep in their own territory to set Central up for their next score to go up 28-14 with 2 minutes or so left in the third. It appeared that when WC scored midway through the fourth to stretch it to 34-14 that the game was on cruise control. But Mayfield took a screen pass for 50 yards and had a roughing the passer penalty tacked on to get a first and goal - quickly punching that in for the score to draw within 34-21. Central then fumbled their first snap of the ensuing possession to give the Cardinals life at the WC 20. They took advantage and made it a brand new game at 34-28. But Central flexed their muscle on offense again with Kenin Reed breaking a 50 yard run to go inside the Mayfield 30, and several plays later Central pushed it back to a comfortable 42-28 lead. Mayfield could not gain a first down and turned it over on downs following a sack. Central took a couple of knees to end the game.

I felt like the game would be a 2 TD game, but it took an odd path to get there. Mayfield was impressive as I knew they would be, but the Dragons were able to wear them down as the game dragged on, and Central made the most of the opportunities they gained, scoring 20 points off of turnovers.

Central looked like they were going to be an offensive dynamo right out of the gate when they drove nearly 80 yards on the first possession, but they stalled out around the Mayfield 10 and turned it over on downs (side note - WC is missing their kicker from the past two years, and that is really hurting them as a field goal was not an option). After that, the two teams slugged it out defensively for the rest of the quarter. Then each team suffered a special teams breakdown that led to an opponent TD, and finished the half with an offensive score apiece to make it 14-13 at halftime.

The third quarter is where Central started to get the breaks and start wearing Mayfield down. Mayfield throwing an INT right to the Dragon defense to kill a drive in Dragon territory was the first nail in the coffin. Central rapidly drove 70 yards for the score via a 55 yd TD pass. Mayfield then turned it over deep in their own territory to set Central up for their next score to go up 28-14 with 2 minutes or so left in the third. It appeared that when WC scored midway through the fourth to stretch it to 34-14 that the game was on cruise control. But Mayfield took a screen pass for 50 yards and had a roughing the passer penalty tacked on to get a first and goal - quickly punching that in for the score to draw within 34-21. Central then fumbled their first snap of the ensuing possession to give the Cardinals life at the WC 20. They took advantage and made it a brand new game at 34-28. But Central flexed their muscle on offense again with Kenin Reed breaking a 50 yard run to go inside the Mayfield 30, and several plays later Central pushed it back to a comfortable 42-28 lead. Mayfield could not gain a first down and turned it over on downs following a sack. Central took a couple of knees to end the game.

I felt like the game would be a 2 TD game, but it took an odd path to get there. Mayfield was impressive as I knew they would be, but the Dragons were able to wear them down as the game dragged on, and Central made the most of the opportunities they gained, scoring 20 points off of turnovers.

To me the turning point in this game is when Jackson went out of the game with cramps. That changed everything. Mayfield's running game went to a halt and WC ran the ball much better. WC 's depth played a roll in this game and all the dropped pass's we had didnt help. Mayfield had somewhat of a shot in this game to win but all in all they didn't get it done. Good luck to WC the rest of the year.

To me there is no doubt that WC was a much better team. I think MHS will b ok against their A schedule but I don't think this team will go down as one of our greatest teams by any stretch of imagination. the QB was efficient enough to get the ball to the recivers but the receivers are not very good. the defense I felt didn't look to bad from the line to the linebackers, the secondary is horrible, but then again they are young and very small. I hate to allways come back to Jackson but you take him out of the equation and Mayfield is just a little better than an average A team. We will make the playoffs and Probably get to face Beechwood again but we are gonna have to improve alot to be able to beat them on their home field

TEAM STATISTICS

Mayfi eld — First downs: 10. Rushing

attempts-yards: 24-107. Passing-yards:

13-28-1 136. Total yards: 243. Penaltiesyards:

2-10. Fumbles-lost: 3-3.

Warren Central — First downs: 16. Rushing

attempts-yards: 44-258. Passing-yards:

8-14-0 143. Total yards: 401. Penaltiesyards:

6-34. Fumbles-lost: 2-1.

INDIVIDUAL LEADERS

Rushing — Mayfi eld: J. Jackson 8-77,

Mills 8-19, Tyler 3-21, Do. Jackson 2-2,

Guhy 2-(-13), Brown 1-1. Warren Central:

Reed 16-120, R. Green 12-64, T. Green

3-25, Bush 6-9, Ross 3-16.

Passing — Mayfi eld: Guhy 13-28-1 136.

Warren Central: Bush 8-14-0 143.

Receiving — Mayfi eld: Brown 6-62, De.

Jackson 2-42, Bacon 2-3, J. Jackson 1-12,

Mix 1-12, Sherrill 1-5. Warren Central: Porter-

Bunton 4-105, Carver 2-29, T. Green 2-9.