Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Featured Replies

yes

I figured. I hate that.

You don't take a 1st team all stater and not miss them. When Jackson went down you could have plugged him in at the linebacker spot. The sweeps they were using would have been harder for them to execute. But in the long run it's better that he is at Murray.

  • Author
You don't take a 1st team all stater and not miss them. When Jackson went down you could have plugged him in at the linebacker spot. The sweeps they were using would have been harder for them to execute. But in the long run it's better that he is at Murray.
:thumb:

Physical Dragons wear down Mayfieldby By Joey Fosko [email protected] The Paducah Sun

Aug 19, 2012

 

BOWLING GREEN — It was a rough few minutes for Mayfield’s normally stout defense.

Pounded by Warren Central’s big, physical line and with linebackers Jonathan Jackson and Stuart Mills on-and-off the field with cramps on a warm, muggy night, Warren Central turned a halftime deficit into a two-touchdown lead in a four-minute span of the third quarter. The Dragons then held off a Mayfield comeback to post a 42-28 victory in the season opener, Friday night’s second game of the Fruit of the Loom Rivals Bowl doubleheader.

 

It was a scene Mayfield coach Joe Morris would rather not see again, on several levels.

 

“We won’t see another line like that — at least I hope not,” Morris said with a smile. “They wore us down, as many guys as we had going both ways, but we fought back and made a game of it. And we had some pretty key guys cramping up and missing for a while.”

 

Overall, the indicators were more encouraging than discouraging for the Cardinals, the preseason No. 1 team in Class A, as they took on a Warren Central team generally rated as a top-5 team in Class 5A.

 

At least some of the mistakes are correctable. Three of the Dragons’ “scoring drives” covered a total of 62 yards, set up by a muffed punt and a pair of fumbles in Mayfield territory. Five dropped passes short-circuited drives and kept Mayfield’s defense on the field far longer than it would have liked.

 

“You can’t afford to give them short fields.” Morris said. “But we still had a chance in the last few minutes.”

 

Mayfield trailed 34-14 midway through the fourth quarter, but rallied for a pair of touchdowns that made the hosts work a little harder. A roughing-the-passer penalty set up by a 32-yard pass from Jake Guhy to Deion Jackson set up a 1-yard run from backup tailback Stuart Mills, then Warren Central’s only miscue — a fumble recovered by Cody Sullivan at the Dragons’ 19 — set up a Jonathan Jackson run.

 

“I thought we had a chance to stop them and get the ball back,” Morris said, “but they just knocked us off the line of scrimmage.”

 

Operating behind an all-senior line that averages 6-foot and 240 pounds, Kenin Reed found an opening on a 53-yard run on Warren Central’s next play from scrimmage that set up the final touchdown.

 

Cramps limited Jonathan Jackson, who had 60 yards on six carries in the first half, to two carries in the fourth quarter after that. He left the game early in the third quarter and made only sporadic appearances from that point.

 

“We’re pretty good up front, and we have a lot of speed to go behind those guys,” said Warren Central coach Mike Rogers, who split four games against the Cardinals as Graves County’s coach from 2004-07. “We can really wear teams down and take advantage of it.”

^ Thanks for posting TP. That game gives a Beechwood fan some hope because Warren Central sounds a lot like this year's Beechwood team on offense - big and strong up front with good speed behind that.

 

Turnovers are the story in most close games and from what I have read, Mayfield lost the turnover battle. I am sure the Cardinals will fix the issues and be much better as the season goes on.

Jaskon cramps were a big blow as we had to go it without him on both sides most of the seconf half. Until last night he has never been cramp prone and speculation was that a medicine he was taking played a large hand in it so hopefully we can keep him from cramping from here on out. Honestly, I never like to get beat but given the hand dealt I left feeling like we demonstrated alot of potential but VOR I will have to give Bw the title of favorite if you all are anywhere close to as deep and talented as WC. We made a game of it and had a chance at the end but they just had too many fresher bodies for us to overcome

I think you think Warren Central is deeper than they are. Where they have good depth is at their running back position. They also benefit on the lines, as only one of those players goes both ways. At Central, that's quite rare. Starter-wise, the two wingbacks, the fullback, the tight end, and the wide receiver all start on defense as well. The fullback is a linebacker, and the tight end is a d-lineman. The rest are in the secondary.

I think you think Warren Central is deeper than they are. Where they have good depth is at their running back position. They also benefit on the lines, as only one of those players goes both ways. At Central, that's quite rare. Starter-wise, the two wingbacks, the fullback, the tight end, and the wide receiver all start on defense as well. The fullback is a linebacker, and the tight end is a d-lineman. The rest are in the secondary.

 

Compared to us yes I do. Bottom line for us is that we likely go as Jackson goes atleast early. I would have loved to have taken my chances with a non cramping Jackson and Scott but Scott obviously is gone and we may not get but a half game out of Jackson for awhile. We were already at a obvious talent gap with WC and that just made it worse. We may take alot of L's early is my guess.

Jaskon cramps were a big blow as we had to go it without him on both sides most of the seconf half. Until last night he has never been cramp prone and speculation was that a medicine he was taking played a large hand in it so hopefully we can keep him from cramping from here on out. Honestly, I never like to get beat but given the hand dealt I left feeling like we demonstrated alot of potential but VOR I will have to give Bw the title of favorite if you all are anywhere close to as deep and talented as WC. We made a game of it and had a chance at the end but they just had too many fresher bodies for us to overcome

 

First of all, IMO Hazard is the favorite in 1A until they prove otherwise.

 

Second, Madison Central surely has more bodies than Beechwood, but Beechwood does have pretty good size and strength up front. That is what I was referrring to. The article and posts seem to indicate Mayfield was bothered by size.

Maybe I see things different than some others here that were at the game but I thought Mayfield was just as good as WC as long as Jackson was in the game. They were not stopping him running the ball and he was making plenty of tackles and they started double teaming him which let some of our other players make plays. I'm just saying WC looked alot better and Mayfield alot worse with Jackson out of the game.

Maybe I see things different than some others here that were at the game but I thought Mayfield was just as good as WC as long as Jackson was in the game. They were not stopping him running the ball and he was making plenty of tackles and they started double teaming him which let some of our other players make plays. I'm just saying WC looked alot better and Mayfield alot worse with Jackson out of the game.

 

That has been true for the last couple of years IMO. Honestly, without Jackson, I think Beechwood beats Mayfield by 2 TD's even with Davis injured. The state championship game is further evidence of how good Jackson is and how much he means to the Cardinals. I have no doubt you are right SS2K that Mayfield looked much different when Jackson was out.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.