Tracking the 2012 Reds Draft...

From Baseball America on Travieso ""He's a piece of clay," an area scout said late in May. "He used to be just all fastballs, but now he's learning to use his secondary stuff, and he's learning how to repeat his delivery. "He didn't start throwing his breaking ball until last year. Now he's touching 86 mph with his slider, and he's getting better life on his two-seamer as well."

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the Reds should sign him for around $2M and shouldn't have a problem getting him signed...It's very possible he could be pitching for AZL Reds this year...According to Redsminorleagues.com he would be the Reds 4th best prospect once he signs behind Hamilton, Corcino and Stephenson...That's 3 out of the top 4 that are pitchers hopefully they pan out Stephenson has fought injuries but was drafted last year with big upside...

There is some good international talent this year that the Reds may be able to pick from with the next 2...They could have saved a half million by reaching for Travieso, if there was a strategy to all of this and the Reds have something up their sleeves I will still be happy...:D The one thing that bothers me is Travieso had a good chance too still be there when the Reds pick next, they could have had Giolito and Travieso that's sounds good together...Either way I guess I trust the Reds scouting Dept...

This says that Travieso was hitting 98.

What does "he's a piece of clay" mean?

No idea that's what I was wondering...I have heard of him touching 98 but that is not consistent he is closer to a consistent 93-94 which is still respectable...I think if Giolito didn't exist or would have went before the Reds I wouldn't be so upset...He is about 4 inches taller and much more polished...Then again we would all be ****ed if his injury derails his career although it's not supposed to be serious at all...

Here is the scouting report on Travieso

Scouting Report

Fastball – Has gotten as high as 99 MPH, sits 92-95.

Slider – Good pitch with late breaking action on it.

Change up – It needs some work, but flashes itself as a solid pitch at times.

Stroman from Duke who is similar in stature and stuff to Johnny Cueto is still available...Was the 10th best overall prospect...Mccullers and his MLB pedigree is also still out there...Marrero who was rumored to the Reds for a while and even today is still out there too, I'm glad they passed on him his upside is said to be similar to Cozarts...I'd love some of these guys too drop to the Reds next pick...

Shaffer is also out there...

Here is a guy I'd love to draft with the Reds next pick if he lasts...If he could man 3rd in the future the Reds could have Joey Votto and Joey Gallo at the Corners...Votto was a similar type player as a supplemental pick...He also is used to wearing a Reds Hat...

gallo_joey.jpg

Joey Gallo

Bishop Gorman HS (Nev.), SeniorHeight: 6'4", Weight: 200Position: 1B - Bats: L, Throws: R

Big and strong, Gallo pitches and hits in high school, but it's likely his power bat that will get him drafted in June.

Gallo is an aggressive hitter with plus raw power. When he gets squared up, he can hit the ball out anywhere. He does have a big swing and there is some concern about him making consistent contact. He's played some third and first, with most feeling he'll end up at the latter. As a pitcher, he has more than enough arm strength for the position and should be fine defensively all-around. He is a below-average runner.

In the end, though, it's the power that intrigues scouts. A team that thinks he'll hit enough to tap into it will be tempted to take him early.