Tracking the 2012 Reds Draft...

From Doug Gray @redsminorleagues...The Reds have a track record of drafting outstanding under the current regime. They get guys to the Major Leagues and they have had them even produce. As Kevin Goldstein pointed out today, people simply don't understand how much of a crap shoot the draft is. Homer Bailey has been the 3rd best #7 overall draft pick EVER. Not in the 2000's. Ever. Since the draft began in 1965 only two guys have been better than him who went #7 overall as pitchers.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This says that Travieso was hitting 98.

What does "he's a piece of clay" mean?

Her's my take on the "clay" comment. He was one dimensional but now is molding himself into a more complete pitcher with the addition of an off-speed pitch.

Her's my take on the "clay" comment. He was one dimensional but now is molding himself into a more complete pitcher with the addition of an off-speed pitch.

I think your on too something there :lol:

Here is a guy I'd love to draft with the Reds next pick if he lasts...If he could man 3rd in the future the Reds could have Joey Votto and Joey Gallo at the Corners...Votto was a similar type player as a supplemental pick...He also is used to wearing a Reds Hat...

gallo_joey.jpg

Joey Gallo

Bishop Gorman HS (Nev.), SeniorHeight: 6'4", Weight: 200Position: 1B - Bats: L, Throws: R

Big and strong, Gallo pitches and hits in high school, but it's likely his power bat that will get him drafted in June.

Gallo is an aggressive hitter with plus raw power. When he gets squared up, he can hit the ball out anywhere. He does have a big swing and there is some concern about him making consistent contact. He's played some third and first, with most feeling he'll end up at the latter. As a pitcher, he has more than enough arm strength for the position and should be fine defensively all-around. He is a below-average runner.

In the end, though, it's the power that intrigues scouts. A team that thinks he'll hit enough to tap into it will be tempted to take him early.

And there he goes, dang it...HS numbers this year .509 AVG, 21 HR, 80 RBI, he was the best power bat in the draft...

I'm now wanting the Reds too draft...

Adam Brett Walker Height: 6'5", Weight: 222

walker__jd0ehgl7.jpg

The son of a former NFL running back, Walker looks the part of a future slugger. The question is if he has the baseball skills to get there.

There’s no question about his pop at the plate. He might have as much raw power as anyone in the Draft class, with some scouts giving him an 80 on the 20-80 scouting scale. He also has a very good approach to hitting, though his hitting instincts lag behind. That leaves some wondering if he’ll learn to tap into that power consistently enough against advanced pitching.

A big, physical specimen, Walker has played both first base and the outfield. His arm is well below average, and while some think he could handle playing left field, his defensive home is up in the air. He draws comparisons to Giancarlo Stanton, both in body type and power potential, but there is some concern that he’s a Ferrari with a VW engine.

With the 49th pick in the 2012 MLB Draft the Reds select Jesse Winker the 59th overall prospect...

Jesse Winker Olympia HS (Calif.), Senior Height: 6'3", Weight: 200 Position: OF

DOB: 08/17/1993 Bats: L, Throws: L : Florida

winker_jesse.jpg

Any team interested in Winker on Draft day will be buying the bat. If his career as an amateur is any indication, it will be worth purchasing.

Winker has an advanced idea at the plate, with a terrific approach from the left side. He can hit the ball hard to all fields, with power to the pull side now with more to come. He is the type of left-handed hitter easy to project as a run-producer in the future.

Winker doesn't run particularly well and might be limited to left field or first base down the road. He does have a decent enough arm for a corner outfield spot and should hit enough for either position, a reason why some team will try to keep him from honoring that commitment to Florida.

I'm now wanting the Reds too draft...

Adam Brett Walker Height: 6'5", Weight: 222

walker__jd0ehgl7.jpg

The son of a former NFL running back, Walker looks the part of a future slugger. The question is if he has the baseball skills to get there.

There’s no question about his pop at the plate. He might have as much raw power as anyone in the Draft class, with some scouts giving him an 80 on the 20-80 scouting scale. He also has a very good approach to hitting, though his hitting instincts lag behind. That leaves some wondering if he’ll learn to tap into that power consistently enough against advanced pitching.

A big, physical specimen, Walker has played both first base and the outfield. His arm is well below average, and while some think he could handle playing left field, his defensive home is up in the air. He draws comparisons to Giancarlo Stanton, both in body type and power potential, but there is some concern that he’s a Ferrari with a VW engine.

Alright he is still available for the next pick at #57

With the 57th pick in the 2012 MLB draft the Reds select Jeff Galalich the 80th overall prospect...

Jeff Galalich UCLA, Junior Height: 6'1", Weight: 205 Position: OF DOB: 03/16/1991 Bats: L, Throws: R

Jeff_Gelalich_y5100717_zd4enkln.jpg

This UCLA outfielder has picked a very good time to figure things out at the plate, allowing him to shoot up Draft boards.

An inconsistent performer in the past, Gelalich has done nothing but hit in his junior season. He makes consistent hard contact and he’s starting to grow into what could be Major League average power. While Gelalich will still strik eout some, he’s become much more selective at the plate. A plus runner, he’s a threat to steal. He’s also improved defensively in terms of his reads and routes to go along with a solid-average arm.

College hitters who perform tend to move up as the Draft approaches, and that’s certainly happened with Gelalich, who is now seen as a potential everyday outfielder at the next level.

End of Day 1

The Reds got a High School pitcher with upside and a High School Left Handed Hitting OF that is known for his potential power...The Reds also got another Left Handed Hitting OF from UCLA that is a speedster with still developing power...

Not a bad day I guess...Still a few very good HS players available that I'd like to get, they are raw ala Billy Hamilton when he was drafted but have huge tools and potential...I'll talk about them more tomorrow...

Wow Gelalich can flat out fly out of the box and has easy pop, hits too all fields...If anyone gets the chance watch the videos I posted all the way through...He will probably contribute at Dayton as soon as this year and could probably hit .175 as the Reds lefty off the bench right now lol and be used as a pinch runner :laugh: