Mason County 12 Campbell County 11 (8 innings)

They are "stuck between a rock and a hard place" on this issue......because if you say pick one (HS) or the other(AAU/SELECT), they are afraid some might say pick AAU/SELECT over High School.

My solution is a simple one: that you play with the school team until the season is over & then you devote your attention to the AAU squad.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my question regarding kids playing with their summer team during the season, can baseball do it? I was under the impression they could not so why would softball be allowed?

Also, I hate to throw it out there but if the boys are not allowed to do so, it will take one parent to complain to the KHSAA regarding Title IX and the rules will change, this is IF baseball cannot play with their summer team until after their baseball season is over.

More so than that, they were up 11-0 with 2 outs in the bottom of the 5th, heading to a mercy rule win, when MC scored six. And up 11-6 in the 7th when the Lady Royals tied it. Incredible comeback!!

I'll take a wild guess and say that this is as satisfying a win in a month of Sundays for you.

Nice to see the strides that the Lady Royals have made.

My solution is a simple one: that you play with the school team until the season is over & then you devote your attention to the AAU squad.
How about taking some time off after a 40 game season, then working out or traveling with your SCHOOL team during the summer and playing on a minimum schedule. Can't stand AAU in any sport. Where is there any benefit in playing with other teammates? Sorry for the soapbox RP.

Does the same issue exist in volleyball? Soccer?

No issues for soccer or volleyball. The solution is to make KY girls softball a fall sport, after the club/travel/AAU season.

For all of you BREATHLESS that a player would choose a club/travel/AAU team over their HS team, you must not have a kid playing at that level. Given the amount of money, time, and commitment it takes to play club/travel/AAU, it's always going to come first. They aren't handing out college scholarships at HS softball, soccer, basketball, and volleyball games - they are on the club/travel/AAU teams. Follow the money.

Nice to see the strides that the Lady Royals have made.

The Lady Royals have indeed enjoyed quite a bit of success this season! Being a win away from the regional title game is not something I expected out of this squad. Congrats to them on what they've accomplished.

The Lady Royals have indeed enjoyed quite a bit of success this season! Being a win away from the regional title game is not something I expected out of this squad. Congrats to them on what they've accomplished.

This was not something I expected either and I have a daughter on the team. They started the season really slow and have gotten better each outing.

Only basketball and football have those restrictions. We have proposed banning athletes from outside teams during school year but it loses at Delegate Assembly. Many fear kids would choose AAU teams. At Brossart we make our softball players wait til our season is over

How about taking some time off after a 40 game season, then working out or traveling with your SCHOOL team during the summer and playing on a minimum schedule. Can't stand AAU in any sport. Where is there any benefit in playing with other teammates? Sorry for the soapbox RP.

You hit it All In....have seen plenty of AAU, select ball, travel team, etc and contend that this is all to showcase individual talents. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend it is a TEAM. I have often wondered what the return is on these kids playing for all these "select" teams. I am sure many parents think this is the ticket to stardom at UK or U of L or whatever, and I wonder how many end up at Campbellsville, Pikeville, Union and the like. Not that there is anything wrong with these schools, but I think parents get wrapped up in the dream more than the kids.

You hit it All In....have seen plenty of AAU, select ball, travel team, etc and contend that this is all to showcase individual talents. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend it is a TEAM. I have often wondered what the return is on these kids playing for all these "select" teams. I am sure many parents think this is the ticket to stardom at UK or U of L or whatever, and I wonder how many end up at Campbellsville, Pikeville, Union and the like. Not that there is anything wrong with these schools, but I think parents get wrapped up in the dream more than the kids.
Most parents want that AAU title attached to their kid thinking it makes them special, when in fact for the amount of games they play all year long year after year and the money spent they are no better than non-AAU kids, most are burnt out. Having that AAU title attached to your name does guarantee you starting on your high school team, but 99.9 kids are going to small colleges, if any and most of those return home after a semester, have seen it over and over and over.