Dixie 4 Covington Catholic 2

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Listening to the replay on Covcath radio and in the 2nd, CCH is struggling with the ball at the plate. Don't know if these are pass ball or dropped balls, but 2 runs in on errors I assume. Also, who called the game in the booth. Is one Rich Maile?

The fielding stats from TOG should be interesting.

Listening to the replay on Covcath radio and in the 2nd, CCH is struggling with the ball at the plate. Don't know if these are pass ball or dropped balls, but 2 runs in on errors I assume. Also, who called the game in the booth. Is one Rich Maile?

I think the scoreboard showed 3 errors for CCH. I would term most of the balls in the "dirt/turf" as wild pitches. I can't fault the catcher on a ball that bounces before it gets to him. If I am not mistaken, the first 2 runs scored on WP'S after a fly ball to left was not caught. CCH did attempt several bunts, most being unsuccessful. They were not all for sacrifices.

What is the reason for the post season struggles that CCH has experienced lately?

I honestly believe it is because they play on turf where their bunt is not effective. In grass you get weird rolls and the balls stop 10 feet from home plate as they bunt very well. On turf the ball keeps rolling and you get "clean" rolls, etc.. At least mentally I think it neutralizes it for the other team. Great job by Parker on the mound and a rough day for the Cov Cath left fielder.

The season didn't end as I/we wished but indeed it was a great season!

I want to thank Coach Krump, Coach Eck, the players and their parents for allowing me along for the ride. You don't spend the days, the months and years with these kids and not have your heart broken when you see the pain in these young men eye's, after the game.

Congrats to the Red Colonels and Mr. Stansberry, he pitched a heck of a game and here's wishing you all the best for the rest of your season.

I will not be posting stats and such for this game today as my hearts just isn't in it at the moment.

Honestly, the team with the best record is not always the best team. Cov Cath with it best on the mound against any of the teams remaining with its best on the mound is not cut and dry. Each team left has 1 hammer they can throw at any team. Stansberry pitching today shows Dixie is a better team for this one game. No doubt. Dixie beat them twice this year. Connor beat them with their ace and was better, Ryle with their second best pitcher was better. There were a number of teams this year better than Cov Cath and they aren't senior dominated like the Colonels. Been watching CCH play the last few weeks and they struggle with base running, and fielding. Hitting the ball on the ground or deep in the outfields is an adventure. CCH center fielder is solid defensively but it was an adventure to either left or right. Poor base running and defensive challenges along with not having a solid number 1 on the mound results in losses when they count.

Mains on the mound makes Connor better

Stansberry on the mound makes Dixie better.

Ryle with their 1 or 2 makes Ryle better.

The season didn't end as I/we wished but indeed it was a great season!

I want to thank Coach Krump, Coach Eck, the players and their parents for allowing me along for the ride. You don't spend the days, the months and years with these kids and not have your heart broken when you see the pain in these young men eye's, after the game.

Congrats to the Red Colonels and Mr. Stansberry, he pitched a heck of a game and here's wishing you all the best for the rest of your season.

I will not be posting stats and such for this game today as my hearts just isn't in it at the moment.

I don't think anyone's heart is in it when they lose! I thought this would be the outcome if CCH drew Dixie in their first game.

Congrats to Coach Max and the Dixie team. I enjoyed watching this game even though I didn't have a dog in the fight. Cov Cath kids and coaches have nothing to be shamed of. They had a tremendous season, even though it didn't end the way they had hoped.

The turf field is the ultimate equalizer, in my opinion. Cov Cath isn't "Cov Cath" on turf, if that makes sense. It's much more difficult to utilize the bunt on the turf, and that will always be something Coach Krumps' teams do to be successful. However, Stansbury was solid today and my hat is off to him. I never thought anyone would go seven today, especially on that surface. Impressive.

The turf wasn't the issue today. You can't sac if you don't have batters get on to start an inning.

CCH has made a living forcing teams to make plays and making them execute rotations properly and forcing unearned runs. Today Dixie didn't make any errors, CCH made 2 critical errors, Dixie wins.

I didn't the book and can't recall the exact scenarios but I wonder if Dixie had any earned runs today? Yes, I realize wild pitches count towards the earned run determination.

How many outs were there when LF missed the lazy fly ball? Did that start the inning?

Congrats to Coach Max and the Dixie team. I enjoyed watching this game even though I didn't have a dog in the fight. Cov Cath kids and coaches have nothing to be shamed of. They had a tremendous season, even though it didn't end the way they had hoped.

The turf field is the ultimate equalizer, in my opinion. Cov Cath isn't "Cov Cath" on turf, if that makes sense. It's much more difficult to utilize the bunt on the turf, and that will always be something Coach Krumps' teams do to be successful. However, Stansbury was solid today and my hat is off to him. I never thought anyone would go seven today, especially on that surface. Impressive.

That's one of the reasons I do not like playing at Freedom in the regional or all A. Teams are used to playing on grass fields all year and then you play on a fast surface. I think the surface takes away from small ball and makes average fielding teams better. Can't say it makes a difference on fly balls.

I didn't the book and can't recall the exact scenarios but I wonder if Dixie had any earned runs today? Yes, I realize wild pitches count towards the earned run determination.

How many outs were there when LF missed the lazy fly ball? Did that start the inning?

Watched the archived video. 1 of the 2 runs in the 2nd was earned.

Single

Single

E7

Wild pitch

F6

Wild pitch

K

L4

5th inning:

Single

Sac bunt

E2 dropped foul ball/subsequent RBI double

K

Single

0 ER in the 5th.

Edited by Clyde

Can someone confirm my memory that CCH had runners on 2nd and 3rd in the 5th with no out and didn't score?

Watched the video. 2nd and 3rd with one out followed by a K and a groundout to 2nd.