Beechwood 7 Notre Dame 5

SSC

Beechwood is your 35th district champs!

If I wasn't there I would think this was a huge upset but seeing the 2 teams play I am not so sure. NDA clearly has better pitching and maybe slightly better defense but Beechwood was scrappy and got all the hits and made all the plays when they had to.

Tough break for NDA in the bottom of the 7th, #99 for NDA who has been hitting the ball hard all day leadoff with a single to center. She was immediately called out by the home plate umpire and thrown out of the game for throwing her bat after the swing. She had been warned earlier in the game and the umpire even over looked it in her next at bat that happened to be a HR. IMO even though its a tough break you have to call it, in all three at bats the young lady's bat went half way up the fence.

Other than that the game was pretty even Beechwood just had a couple more timely hits.

I have said it on here before but there is not a coach in NKY that I would rather my daughter play for than Beechwood's coach and today is another perfect example of why. You could tell those girls would run through a wall for her and she was just as exicted as those girls when the final out was made.

Congrats to Beechwood and NDA on really good seasons. IMO these 2 teams are the most improved teams from a year ago in NKY. Both coaches deserve consideration for coach of the year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are we sure that's a real high school rule? Can someone point me to where it says a player is called out and ejected for throwing a bat?

I have no clue if it is or not but NDA coach didn't argue. On any of the 3 times I saw her throw it if it had hit a person they were going to the hospital so I think it should be a rule. She just didn't throw it to the ground, it was kinda launched from her hands after she hit. You saw a full pinic table full of people behind the fence duck when it came out of her hands.

We will never know for sure if it would have changed the outcome of the game.

In my initial checking I think the umpire made 2 mistakes.

First, the rulebook says that after an official warning a player who throws the bat is restricted to the bench. She is not ejected. Because it's NDA and because they have no seniors I know whoever #99 is has more high school sports in front of her. However, she will now be required to sit out the next high school games she plays. If I'm the NDA coach I'm calling the KHSAA to get that ejection removed.

Secondly, the rulebook does not support the batter being called out UNLESS the bat interfered with the defense. My guess is that was not the case tonight.

So instead of a runner on with no outs in the last inning in a game that means everything NDA has no on with one out. That's not cool.

You are correct the bat hit the backstop.

The game probably has a different outcome all together bc #99 hit a home run after she was warned the first time so she would have been on the bench at that time. She also threw the bat during that at bat that the umpire over looked. And she wouldn't have lead off the bottom of the 7th with a hit. That doesn't mean her back up wouldn't have but we will never know

Again I don't know the rule and I think it should be called corretly. Not knowing the rule and being there at the time I had no problems with the rule she was warned and did it 2 more times and could have been very harmful if it would have made contact.

I would think this young lady is one of the better players for NDA and now they will have to face a good team with out her in the region

You are correct the bat hit the backstop.

The game probably has a different outcome all together bc #99 hit a home run after she was warned the first time so she would have been on the bench at that time. She also threw the bat during that at bat that the umpire over looked. And she wouldn't have lead off the bottom of the 7th with a hit. That doesn't mean her back up wouldn't have but we will never know

Again I don't know the rule and I think it should be called corretly. Not knowing the rule and being there at the time I had no problems with the rule she was warned and did it 2 more times and could have been very harmful if it would have made contact.

I would think this young lady is one of the better players for NDA and now they will have to face a good team with out her in the region

Heck, I was forgetting NDA still has another game. HUGE mistake by Blue. One more reason for NDA to get on the phone with KHSAA. This isn't a judgement call. This is a miss by Blue on the rule.

In my initial checking I think the umpire made 2 mistakes.

First, the rulebook says that after an official warning a player who throws the bat is restricted to the bench. She is not ejected. Because it's NDA and because they have no seniors I know whoever #99 is has more high school sports in front of her. However, she will now be required to sit out the next high school games she plays. If I'm the NDA coach I'm calling the KHSAA to get that ejection removed.

Secondly, the rulebook does not support the batter being called out UNLESS the bat interfered with the defense. My guess is that was not the case tonight.

So instead of a runner on with no outs in the last inning in a game that means everything NDA has no on with one out. That's not cool.

That would not be good, this kid simply "crushes" the ball and plays a very solid 1st base. Oh, by the way, her name is Maria Schaefer.

Heading into the 2011 season, Beechwood had 1 win in their entire history over a school with more students than them. Last year they won 9 games, which was just 1 less than their win total in their entire prior history (10). In 2012 they are district champions. Wow. What a turnaround by these young ladies. Turning around a program like this in two years is one of the most difficult things to accomplish in any sport. Congratulations to David McCallister, head coach last year and at the start of this season; to Megan Hinck, this year's head coach; and most of all to the young ladies who made it happen on the field. Well done ladies!!