Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy

themayor

Shock Top is basicly Blue Moon in a different bottle.

I'm not a big Leinenkugel fan. I can drink one or two of the Shandy beer but they make a beer called Sunset Wheat that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. It tastes like Fruity Pebbles with a hint of beer. Yuckie...

I bought a twelve pack of the Sunset Wheat and I didn't like the first one but it grew on me a bit. It's not a session beer for me.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there no real beer drinkers anymore? :popcorn:

Well, umm yeah. IMO, if your not trying some of the ales that are gaining popularity you are missing out.

My favorite line concerning beer is from a Bell's Brewery bumper sticker - "If God wanted us to filter our beers, he wouldn't have given us livers."

Well, umm yeah. IMO, if your not trying some of the ales that are gaining popularity you are missing out.

My favorite line concerning beer is from a Bell's Brewery bumper sticker - "If God wanted us to filter our beers, he wouldn't have given us livers."

I have that bumper sticker. Got it at a folk festival they were vending.

My great grandpa was a brewer at the Bavarian Brewery in Covington in both pre and post-prohibition days. I never met him, and I'm not sure what exactly it was that he did there, but my grandpa (his son), always makes sure to make the distinguishment that "he was a brewer...not just a worker". Regardless, I know my great grandpa apparently had a fairly decent knowledge of beer brewing as evidenced by the three beer recipes we still have from him - they're in one of my family member's possession and he's recreated the homebrew several times over. He always has to make big batches in order to get it passed out to everyone in the family. Good stuff.

Anyway, I digress. Last summer at my parents' annual Fourth Of July party, some of the guys started talking beers. A younger cousin of mine, freshly turned 21, decided she'd try to flex her beer drinking muscles by "introducing" us all to Leine's Summer Shandy. Well interestingly enough, my grandpa - then 89 years old - decided he'd throw back a bottle of lemonade beer, after which he told us how it bore a fairly strong resemblance to his dad's "Picnic Shandy Brew". He said my great grandpa would take three or four if his beers and put them in a pitcher, followed by two or three glasses of strongly mixed homemade lemonade, and finish that off with one glass of vodka. The finished product was something he called "Picnic Shandy Brew".

Needless to say, it was only a matter of minutes (literally) until we had gathered all the required ingredients. It's a surprisingly good finished product for a hot summer picnic kind of a day - and it's a fair deal stronger than anything in a Leinenkugel bottle.

Bell's is one of my favorite breweries.

My great grandpa was a brewer at the Bavarian Brewery in Covington in both pre and post-prohibition days. I never met him, and I'm not sure what exactly it was that he did there, but my grandpa (his son), always makes sure to make the distinguishment that "he was a brewer...not just a worker". Regardless, I know my great grandpa apparently had a fairly decent knowledge of beer brewing as evidenced by the three beer recipes we still have from him - they're in one of my family member's possession and he's recreated the homebrew several times over. He always has to make big batches in order to get it passed out to everyone in the family. Good stuff.

Anyway, I digress. Last summer at my parents' annual Fourth Of July party, some of the guys started talking beers. A younger cousin of mine, freshly turned 21, decided she'd try to flex her beer drinking muscles by "introducing" us all to Leine's Summer Shandy. Well interestingly enough, my grandpa - then 89 years old - decided he'd throw back a bottle of lemonade beer, after which he told us how it bore a fairly strong resemblance to his dad's "Picnic Shandy Brew". He said my great grandpa would take three or four if his beers and put them in a pitcher, followed by two or three glasses of strongly mixed homemade lemonade, and finish that off with one glass of vodka. The finished product was something he called "Picnic Shandy Brew".

Needless to say, it was only a matter of minutes (literally) until we had gathered all the required ingredients. It's a surprisingly good finished product for a hot summer picnic kind of a day - and it's a fair deal stronger than anything in a Leinenkugel bottle.

So maybe a shot of vodka chased by a Summer Shandy?