Private School Myths De-Bunked

rockmom

Let's list here myths you've heard or believe about Private schools, and the reality.

A few Myths that I've personally heard:

Private schools can offer athletic scholarships-NO

Private schools have dorms for out of town students-NO

Private schools have unlimited resources-NO

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's list here myths you've heard or believe about Private schools, and the reality.

A few Myths that I've personally heard:

Private schools have dorms for out of town students-NO

Private schools have unlimited resources-NO

I'll detail a little more.

On point NO.1 - We do not offer scholarships and only offer up to 50% of all tution. Which in the end is still thousands more than you would pay to go to a public school. Which sounds like a disadvantage, doesn't it?

Point NO.2- If anyone believes this, some people are so mis informed its funny.

Point No.3- I would say a majority of the top public programs have more resources than most private and can match the support of Trinity and X.

For every Trinity and X , there is an NCC, LCA or Covington HC that budgets are small standing next to a Louis Male.

We all know that the people that voted for this don't want to listen to the truth though. The only thing they care about is getting their state championship trophy and if that means splitting the legaue a thousand times they will do it. They could care less about the well-being of high school athletics as a whole as long as they get their watered down trophy.

I'll detail a little more.

On point NO.1 - We do not offer scholarships and only offer up to 50% of all tution. Which in the end is still thousands more than you would pay to go to a public school. Which sounds like a disadvantage, doesn't

Yes that is all true. It is written down and those are the rules, so we know that it is the truth, and nobody would ever break the rules. No even the elite privates.

Yes that is all true. It is written down and those are the rules, so we know that it is the truth, and nobody would ever break the rules. No even the elite privates.

If you have evidence that they have them please turn them in, otherwise it just sounds like sour grapes from unsuccessful schools.

The process of receiving financial aid has been posted here time and time again. I encourage you to do a search and read up on it.

The "elite" privates as you say, are scrupulous in their adherence to the rules.

Unless you got facts to prove otherwise don't accuse someone on hersay.

I can tell you my school I am affilated with Covington HC, follows these guidelines and has never been punished for any form of cheating.

I agree that private schools, as institutions, don't offer "athletic scholarships" to anyone.

I think it's naive, though, to think that some athletes don't have at least a portion of their tuition paid by a third party. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, and it would be nearly impossible to trace if done discreetly, but I don't doubt that it happens on occasion.

I agree that private schools, as institutions, don't offer "athletic scholarships" to anyone.

I think it's naive, though, to think that some athletes don't have at least a portion of their tuition paid by a third party. I'm not accusing anyone of anything, and it would be nearly impossible to trace if done discreetly, but I don't doubt that it happens on occasion.

Careful about casting stones without proof....you will hoisted high on the nearest yardarm and left for the crows.....

It would be hard to stop all, but I know of a couple situations personally that were found out about before hand and were denied enrollment. Anyway public schools are still cheaper I don't see how financial aid is advantage when your school is free?

I think it's naive, though, to think that some athletes don't have at least a portion of their tuition paid by a third party.

Wake up! There are some NON-athletes that receive tuition assistance, too. Even at that, it's only A PORTION that's paid. That's still WAY more than the public school kids pay.

Which is more of an advantage?

Partial Tuition paid (some kids at Private Schools) - or -

Full Tuition paid (all kids at Public Schools)

(plus transportation, etc.)