Amendments to Prop 1: Which will happen?

All Play No Work

The Kentucky Non-Public Schools Commission has offered the following amendments to Proposal One:

1. The 20-mile radius rule would apply only to non-public schools with an enrollment of 750 or more: Trinity, St. Xavier, Sacred Heart, Assumption and Lexington Catholic.

(Not sure why only the large non-public schools would have the 20 mile radius applied. Although they probably have the majority of students from over 20 miles away. Could a fear of Lexington Christian doom this?)

2. Exceptions to the 20-mile rule would be made for students from Catholic elementary feeder schools.

(This would seem logical as those students would be attending the closest Catholic school but who knows).

3. Affected student-athletes would be ineligible to participate at the varsity level for the first year. However, they could practice with teams and could play at the freshman and junior-varsity levels.

(This doesn't seem to effect much in the major sports such as Football, Volleyball, Basketball. Could have an effect in minor sports where there is no Frosh or JV team. Can't see this one making it.)

Thoughts?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it does not make it, it will give Prop 20 more fuel.

I like the amendment better than the alternative, but I don't like it much. I'm never comfortable with negotiating something that only makes a wrong less wrong. It is sort of like saying yes, but only if you buy me dinner first.

3. Affected student-athletes would be ineligible to participate at the varsity level for the first year. However, they could practice with teams and could play at the freshman and junior-varsity levels.

Thoughts?

If you are one of the public schools pushing hard for "equality" why would you ever agree to #3? How many freshmen are coming to those schools mentioned above and playing a major varsity sport?

If you are one of the public schools pushing hard for "equality" why would you ever agree to #3? How many freshmen are coming to those schools mentioned above and playing a major varsity sport?

That is assuming the player moving in is a freshmen. For upperclassman, it would be a strong deterrent.

Lets assume #1 and #2 are adopted, but #1 is ALL non-public schools not just the big ones.

Student has to be within 20 miles unless they attended a Catholic grade school.

How many current students would this had effected had it been in place the last four years?

I'm guessing 0% at most Catholic high schools, and I'm guessing 5% at most at some.

And where does this leave the Christian schools? 20 mile radius but they basically do not have feeder grade schools so what happens there?

Lets assume #1 and #2 are adopted, but #1 is ALL non-public schools not just the big ones.

Student has to be within 20 miles unless they attended a Catholic grade school.

How many current students would this had effected had it been in place the last four years?

I'm guessing 0% at most Catholic high schools, and I'm guessing 5% at most at some.

And where does this leave the Christian schools? 20 mile radius but they basically do not have feeder grade schools so what happens there?

How far is Frankfort from Lex Catholic. Or Harrodsburg? Or Versailles? From my understanding their top 8 from the team that won state had one player from inside Fayette County. Not sure what the mileage would work out for those players.

Also, NKY Catholic schools from my understanding have very strict rules from the Diocese and this would not affect them much at all.

I believe that it is simply a poor compromise that does not really address the issue and is designed to bring about the defeat of Prop 20.

I will admit, I don't really know what is the best way to handle the situation.

But from the ones that have been proposed. Something from Prop 1, 4, (5 might be a substitute) and 10 would need to be passed for 20 to be easily defeated. If those 3 pass, you might not even see a vote on 20. They may pull it and give those 3 time to see if they are going to work as well as letting private schools monitor themselve better.

I truly believe that the last time this issue came up, private schools played it off as just a few raising a ruckus. This time, they know the publics are serious.

The 20 mile radius rule and the 750 enrollment figure are both ridiculous. It does nothing to clean things up. They call these concessions?? The private/parochials are fooling no one with this.. Clearly defined districts for all schools (private and public) is

the only answer. If you don't live in that district you can not play sports. What's so tough about that.

The 20 mile radius rule and the 750 enrollment figure are both ridiculous. It does nothing to clean things up. They call these concessions?? The private/parochials are fooling no one with this.. Clearly defined districts for all schools (private and public) is

the only answer. If you don't live in that district you can not play sports. What's so tough about that.

Not me but someone is going to through their CONSTITUTIONAL right to freedom of choice at you.

How would you define the district for LexCath with no other Catholic school around for miles and miles in some directions.

What about Lex. Christian that would be even harder.

How would you define the district for LexCath with no other Catholic school around for miles and miles in some directions.

What about Lex. Christian that would be even harder.

Live within 5 miles of either of those 2 schools if you wish to play sports.

Pretty simple don't you think. ;)