Amendments to Prop 1: Which will happen?

All Play No Work

Clearly defined would mean that All schools would have boundaries. Ludlow has a very clearly defined area from which kids come from. Those outside that area pay tuition. Beechwoods clearly defined area should be Ft Mitchell and if you live outside of it then too bad. Same for Highlands, there area is

Ft. Thomas. If you want to play for a certain school then you need to live in the district.

As for the parochial and privates just sit down with a good old Rand-McNally Map and show them what their new clearly defined area is and if they want to compete against other Ky schools then they have to live with that decision. They can get all the kids they want from anywhere they want but if they want to play sports then go to the school where you live. :lol:

So in your world, it's fine for a kid to live outside a district and pay tuition to go to a public school (or would that only apply in Ludlow?), but not to a private school?? That makes perfect sense!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've seen, the Diocese rules are anything but "very strict"; concerning enforcing kids staying within their feeder school boundries, when moving from elementary to high school!!

That's because there isn't any "rules" on where a student can attend high school.

The diocese "rule" is that a high school can only recruit students (not athletes, STUDENTS) from a feeder district parish (with the exception of Latin school). However, families are free to attend whatever private school they choose. They may have to pay an out of district tuition rate.

So you can live in Bellevue be a member of Divine Mercy parish and if you want to go to St. Henry you are free to do so and pay an out-of-district tuition rate. St. Henry cannot recruit students from Divine Mercy.

That's because there isn't any "rules" on where a student can attend high school.

The diocese "rule" is that a high school can only recruit students (not athletes, STUDENTS) from a feeder district parish (with the exception of Latin school). However, families are free to attend whatever private school they choose. They may have to pay an out of district tuition rate.

So you can live in Bellevue be a member of Divine Mercy parish and if you want to go to St. Henry you are free to do so and pay an out-of-district tuition rate. St. Henry cannot recruit students from Divine Mercy.

The diocese sets up "districts" and designates "feeder parishes/elementary schools" to those districts, which the diocese EXPECTS the HS's to follow. Obviously they don't, and you are right, there is a slight upcharge in tuition for out of district students.

Explain to me how you realisticly recruit students and not athletes, since they obviously are one in the same?? :confused:

The diocese sets up "districts" and designates "feeder parishes/elementary schools" to those districts, which the diocese EXPECTS the HS's to follow. Obviously they don't, and you are right, there is a slight upcharge in tuition for out of district students.

Explain to me how you realisticly recruit students and not athletes, since they obviously are one in the same?? :confused:

The HSs do follow the districts. Families do not. Important difference there.

If you have a daughter and live in Florence and you desire an all-girl school for her, you are welcome to send her to Notre Dame. Just like you could send her to any private school in NKY or anywhere you are willing to drive. If you also have a son and want an all-boys environment you can send him to CovCath. Or if you want him in a co-ed school you can send him to St. Henry. Or you can send him to Latin. Or to Boone Co. Your choice.

Realistically you recruit students by having the entire grade school class from St. Catholic school come to visit the high school and observe classes. You don't send a van and pick up the starting five basketball players and have them visit. That is illegal. You send a flyer home that invites all the students from St. Catholic to a pizza/movie party in the high school gym. You don't send a flyer home to the six volleyball players inviting just them. That would be illegal.

Clearly defined would mean that All schools would have boundaries. Ludlow has a very clearly defined area from which kids come from. Those outside that area pay tuition. Beechwoods clearly defined area should be Ft Mitchell and if you live outside of it then too bad. Same for Highlands, there area is

Ft. Thomas. If you want to play for a certain school then you need to live in the district.

As for the parochial and privates just sit down with a good old Rand-McNally Map and show them what their new clearly defined area is and if they want to compete against other Ky schools then they have to live with that decision. They can get all the kids they want from anywhere they want but if they want to play sports then go to the school where you live. :lol:

You do know any student who does not come from a catholic feeder parish has to pay higher tution also?

In my honest opinion I think both sides have lost the meaning of high school athletics. It has little to do with who wins the state title, or district or regional titles. It has to do with keeping kids in school.

In many areas the only thing keeping some kids in school is the sports that they play. I know I’ve made this statement before. 80-90% of those that are in extra-curricular activities graduate from high school. 80-90% of those that do not participate in extra-curricular activities do not graduate.

The private schools have taken this and ran with it. They highly encourage their students to participate in many sports. (I have heard stories of those who did not participate were harassed by students.)

These same private schools have shot themselves in the foot. By becoming extremely competitive, they have drawn some of the best athletes to their schools. Now this is not their fault, but it has caused a problem. One of two things may happen. The private schools will be forced to compete in their own league (which in my opinion is ludicrous) or they will be competing with fewer and fewer teams each year.

As I stated many students stay in school because of the sports they play. When those same students loose day in and day out they decide that the sport is not worth playing. They lose hope and quit. If this continues many of these schools will have to cease having certain sports. Many of the minor sports are already having problems staying competitive because of the lack of interest.

Some of the public school people see a need for change. They cannot come up with a perfect idea. Some have claimed that publics just want to win. I don’t believe this is the true origin of this issue we are faced with. It is the fact that students have stopped playing sports because they don’t have a chance of winning against their friends who were able to attend a private school and dominate in their chosen sport. Yes, they could have attended that same private school, but remember these are the students who are not self-motivated (for lack of a better word), and have had discipline problems.

Now I don’t think that the propositions we are given is the answer to the problem. I think what the public schools want the population of Kentucky and the private schools to know is that there is a problem. I don’t know what the answer is, and I don’t want the private school removed. I do however want more kids participating in sports.

What is the answer? Higher better coaches? I think the public schools are having a hard enough time just finding a coach. Work harder to become competitive? I think the public school coaches are already working as hard as they can. Have the public schools encourage more participation? I believe they are also doing the best they can at this.

I’m just trying to shed a little more light on the subject. I know the line is drawn in the sand, and those for and against will not budge. I however lean toward the public side, but do not like the choices we are given. (If I had a vote I would vote NO on all of the props as they are now written).

Thanks for reading.

Wishing for the good ole days

Oldschoolwrestler

:jump: :madman: :eek: