Amendments to Prop 1: Which will happen?

All Play No Work

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think exception #2 is excellent and the proposal needs to have boundaries of the state in it. Students from bordering states should not be eligible to play in the KHSAA, IMHO.

I suppose you would then say that the 30% to 40% of that athletic powerhouse Portland Christian couldn't play since they live in New Albany (remember, the school is downtown, where many of the parents work, but they don't live in Louisville). And I guess Fort Campbell is just SOL since they are now housed in Tennessee on the base property. You just have to be careful making blanket rules, that's the problem with all of this. Several students who attend McCreary County live in Tennessee, and MCC is by far the closest school to them (including Tennessee schools). Belfry, especially with the new building being within a mile of the border, is closer to a whole lot of kids than some of those WV schools. And frankly, in some areas, and this is a serious statement, there is not always agreement on where the state line actually is.

Not arguing your point, just noting why an arbitrary rule requiring Kentucky residence might not work without a lot more refinement. The other problem, is, what is a residence? Look at Ohio for example. They have a similar in state requirement, BUT, to be a resident, you just have to have an education guardianship or relative living there who signs a form. Wouldn't that really mean more paper for the local schools with no change in the actual rule?

Just something I thought about while reading some of the posts. What really needs to happen is that the schools agree to some form of 1, 4/5 and 10, and leave it to the Board to get a special group of public/private reps together to finalize the wording to ensure that there is no collateral damage.

That's the main problem with Prop 20, no one has thought through the massive collateral damage. Nor have they thought about an obvious pitfall for the public schools. Surely if 2/3 pass a proposal such as this (20), and it generates the expected lengthy litigation and lawsuit, they should expect to be proportionally assessed the legal fees to implement the project. For starters, take a look at what the Tennessee Association spent on the Brentwood Academy litigation over the last few years, just trying to enforce a simple recruiting rule. Number has two commas in it according to their press reports.

Just some fodder for discussion.

The 20 mile radius rule and the 750 enrollment figure are both ridiculous. It does nothing to clean things up. They call these concessions?? The private/parochials are fooling no one with this.. Clearly defined districts for all schools (private and public) is

the only answer. If you don't live in that district you can not play sports. What's so tough about that.

I think it is simple what is tough about that. Just read the feedback on Proposal 1. I think some of the public schools are also going to be negatively effected by a limit as written (maybe the actual answer will be put on the table at the meeting). Trouble is, some want a new tougher limit on some schools, but don't want themselves to be effected.

That's why these issues are so complicated, or surely they would have been solved long before now.

Live within 5 miles of either of those 2 schools if you wish to play sports.

Pretty simple don't you think. ;)

Yes that solution is very simple . I guess then we will have Catholic ghettos in Kentucky just like the Jewish ghetto in Warsaw during WWII.

The 20 mile radius rule and the 750 enrollment figure are both ridiculous. It does nothing to clean things up. They call these concessions?? The private/parochials are fooling no one with this.. Clearly defined districts for all schools (private and public) is

the only answer. If you don't live in that district you can not play sports. What's so tough about that.

Would your "clearly defined districts" also apply to the so-called "City" schools, like Beechwood and Highlands here in NKY??

How far is Frankfort from Lex Catholic. Or Harrodsburg? Or Versailles? From my understanding their top 8 from the team that won state had one player from inside Fayette County. Not sure what the mileage would work out for those players.

Also, NKY Catholic schools from my understanding have very strict rules from the Diocese and this would not affect them much at all.

I believe that it is simply a poor compromise that does not really address the issue and is designed to bring about the defeat of Prop 20.

From what I've seen, the Diocese rules are anything but "very strict"; concerning enforcing kids staying within their feeder school boundries, when moving from elementary to high school!!

Would your "clearly defined districts" also apply to the so-called "City" schools, like Beechwood and Highlands here in NKY??

Clearly defined would mean that All schools would have boundaries. Ludlow has a very clearly defined area from which kids come from. Those outside that area pay tuition. Beechwoods clearly defined area should be Ft Mitchell and if you live outside of it then too bad. Same for Highlands, there area is

Ft. Thomas. If you want to play for a certain school then you need to live in the district.

As for the parochial and privates just sit down with a good old Rand-McNally Map and show them what their new clearly defined area is and if they want to compete against other Ky schools then they have to live with that decision. They can get all the kids they want from anywhere they want but if they want to play sports then go to the school where you live. :lol: