Will LSU go back to being LSU after Joey B. leaves?

newarkcatholicfan

Will they become just another team that ESPN tells us how much of a major threat they are to win it all or will they be what they are now?

LSU has always had the talent. I doubt they go back to being a team that only runs the ball. Plus now this should make it easier to sell to top QBs to come there. So I think they are here to stay.

LSU is making their fourth national championship appearance in 17 years. Let's not act like this is some kind of aberration they are where they are. Counting the year they first appeared in the national title game over that span, the only teams with four title game appearances are Alabama and Clemson (I think). We all know NCF was trying to provide some kind of back handed compliment with the thread starter, but I think a good tangent question is will they be able to keep up their offensive momentum after this season? The Tigers have been known to struggle on that side of the ball.

Will they become just another team that ESPN tells us how much of a major threat they are to win it all or will they be what they are now?

LSU is making their fourth national championship appearance in 17 years. Let's not act like this is some kind of aberration they are where they are. Counting the year they first appeared in the national title game over that span, the only teams with four title game appearances are Alabama and Clemson (I think). We all know NCF was trying to provide some kind of back handed compliment with the thread starter, but I think a good tangent question is will they be able to keep up their offensive momentum after this season? The Tigers have been known to struggle on that side of the ball.

So basically what you are saying is they have been in just as many if not more National championships in the last twenty years as say OSU? 😂

1. They need to continue to get top level QB's capable of running this offense, which is obvious.

2. Their WR's are next level good, they need to keep that recruiting train rolling as well.

3. Keep this staff, especially offensive coordinator and QB coach in place as long as possible.

Saying all of that, I'll take a wait and see position. Several programs have bounced to the top with a hot QB only to drop off after he leaves. The top programs like Clemson/Alabama have proven they can do it with multiple QB's.

Another good question is can Clemson sustain this success if they begin to lose coaches.

If we're talking assistants then yeah I believe they can sustain. If Dabo left I'm not so sure. But indont see him going anywhere so I honestly feel like they will be one of the best for years to come. Their road to the playoff isn't as hard as some of the others.

If we're talking assistants then yeah I believe they can sustain. If Dabo left I'm not so sure. But indont see him going anywhere so I honestly feel like they will be one of the best for years to come. Their road to the playoff isn't as hard as some of the others.

Agreed on having an easy path most years. Until a few weeks ago, Dabo had kept all of his key assistants during this 5 or 6 year run. In that same time Alabama for example has lost 3 or 4 coordinators on both sides of the ball. Some teams overcome those losses and some don't. Dabo hasn't had to yet, so we have no idea how well he'll adjust.

Agreed on having an easy path most years. Until a few weeks ago, Dabo had kept all of his key assistants during this 5 or 6 year run. In that same time Alabama for example has lost 3 or 4 coordinators on both sides of the ball. Some teams overcome those losses and some don't. Dabo hasn't had to yet, so we have no idea how well he'll adjust.

That's true. But Clemson is established, they can find quality replacements if and when they need to, imo.

1. They need to continue to get top level QB's capable of running this offense, which is obvious.

2. Their WR's are next level good, they need to keep that recruiting train rolling as well.

3. Keep this staff, especially offensive coordinator and QB coach in place as long as possible.

Saying all of that, I'll take a wait and see position. Several programs have bounced to the top with a hot QB only to drop off after he leaves. The top programs like Clemson/Alabama have proven they can do it with multiple QB's.

LSU is not like these other programs you probably are talking about that dropped off. Talent wise LSU has always been one of the most talented in the country, they just couldn’t get out of their own way on offense because they kept trying to be a just pound it at teams running team. Hence, why they always had the defense but the offense was their weak area. They finally adjusted to the times and spread it out and now it has their offense rolling. IMO it should now make it easier for them to get top QBs to go too because of the offense they are running.

It also seems like players enjoy playing for Ed. I see this being a lot what happened with USC with Pete Carroll. Carson Palmer his senior season took off with Pete Carroll in I believe his second year there as coach, and it was the start of that program taking off again until Pete Carroll left. It carried over from Palmer to then Matt Leinhart. With the talent LSU gets I can see it being similar to USC under Pete Carroll once Palmer got rolling for them his senior year.