Mr. Football Watchlist: Now that the dust has settled, where do we stand?

DevilMayCare

With the state champions crowned this past weekend, all that remains of the 2019 season is to dole out All-State honors and select a Mr. Football or two.

At this point, we can essentially whittle the list of realistic contenders down to the following: Beau Allen, Michael Mayer, Reese Smith, and Reed Lanter. To be honest, Lanter is probably a notch below the other three, but his senior season - and career as a whole - have earned him a spot in this post.

Here are the final numbers on those four:

Beau Allen (QB, Lexington Catholic)

2019 Season: 234/341 for 3,682 yards and 38 TDs/8 ints. - 517 yards rushing/12 TDs

Career: 743/1,144 (65%) for 11,439 yards and 127 touchdown passes/35 interceptions - 1,133 rushing yards/20 touchdowns - Allen ranks fifth all time in both career yards and touchdown passes, and is top ten in career completions and attempts.

Reed Lanter (QB, Boyle County)

2019 Season: 192/268 for 3,286 yards and 41 TDs/5 int.

Career: 585/864 (68%) for 9,107 yards and 108 TDs/18 ints. - Lanter's career completion percentage ranks third all time according to the KHSAA record books.

Michael Mayer (TE/LB, Covington Catholic)

2019 Season: 50 catches for 970 yards and 15 TDs - 2 rushing TDs - 99 tackles/7.5 TFL/1.5 sacks/4 int./1 pick-six/5 forced fumbles

Career: 110 receptions for 2,231 yards and 30 TDs - 276 tackles/25.5 TFL/4.5 sacks (numbers incomplete) - 5 ints./2 pick-six's

Reese Smith (WR/S, Boyle County)

2019 Season: 63 catches for 1,518 yards and 20 touchdowns - 3 rushing TDs - 36 tackles/7 ints./1 pick-six

Career: 202 receptions for 4,389 yards and 63 TDs - 185 tackles/26 interceptions/4 pick-six's - Reese is top ten all time in receptions and yards, third all time in touchdown catches, and tied for fifth in interceptions.

At the beginning of the season, the majority opinion seemed to be that it was Allen's to lose, and a lot probably still do. But - at least in my opinion - in order to entrench himself as Mr. Football, he needed to find a way to beat Boyle County, for a couple of reasons.

1. The Rebels were the ever present stumbling block in Allen's pursuit of a championship, be it state, region, or even district.

2. Reese Smith and Reed Lanter. If you're going to win this award, it's not a good look to lose to your rival over and over, but especially when that team features multiple Mr. Football candidates of its own.

As the season wore on, Smith was piling up one stellar performance after another on both sides of the ball, and Lanter threw his name into the hat by out-dueling Allen head-to-head on October 11th with a career night.

Meanwhile, Michael Mayer was alternating big games with statistically mediocre ones, even if he was continually the best player on the field. At the conclusion of the regular season, Boyle County and Covington Catholic were unbeaten and #1 in their respective classes, with Lexington Catholic lagging behind. Allen's superlative-laden career met its end in the second round of the playoffs at the hands of his tormentors, but the other contenders marched onward, seemingly destined for more championship hardware.

At this point, one could make a very good argument that Smith was now the front-runner. Another state title, on top of his placement in multiple categories in the KHSAA record books, would go a long way toward putting him in the driver's seat for Mr. Football. But as we now know, Johnson Central had other plans. Smith was a force in his last game as a Rebel, catching twelve balls for 165 yards and a score, but the loss was no doubt a bitter end to a marvelous career.

That left Mayer with the stage all to himself and a chance to make one last impression on those who will eventually cast their ballots. The 5A final against Frederick Douglass wasn't exactly an offensive showcase for anyone involved, as both defenses were on point, but Mayer made perhaps the standout play of the game, a thirty-seven yard catch inside Douglass' five yard line that set up a CovCath touchdown and helped provide a necessary two score cushion. Most importantly, he won a second championship, something Smith and Lanter couldn't accomplish, while Allen never got so much as a sniff of one title.

Now that we've seen the last of these great players at the high school level, how much have opinions shifted? Was it always going to be Beau Allen, or did Smith and/or Mayer (or someone else not named here) do enough to swing the vote in their favor?

Edited by DevilMayCare
Spelling

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NKY doesn't get the votes. Lanter and Smith split votes. Allen had a heck of a career and is going to UK. Allen wins. I think realistically, Allen was ahead before the season began in the minds of voters, and Mayer didn't see enough balls come his way to overtake Allen. I think Smith should probably win it with what he did both offensively and defensively (impressive numbers both ways), but it is hard to beat out a QB going to UK. I also don't think it helps Mayer, Smith, or Lanter that they only played the first half of most of their games.

The Kentucky Football Coaches Association began awarding its own Mr. Football last season, separate from the traditional AP award. I don't believe there's been a date announced for the AP Mr. Football, but the KFCA will announce their winner later this month. The winner will be chosen from the list of KFCA award winners for class players of the year.

The finalists are as follows:

1A - Malachi Corley (ATH), Campbellsville

2A - Kaiya Sheron (QB/DB), Somerset

3A - Jonathan Maher (QB/DB), Fleming County

4A - Reese Smith (WR/DB), Boyle County

5A - Michael Mayer (TE/LB), Covington Catholic

6A - Izayah Cummings (WR), Male

I would vote Michael Mayer. Best player in state. Played both sides of ball and dominated. Also State Champion.

I don't think you could say anything if Mayer won. But you could say that Smith might be the best play in the State. He also played both way and dominated both sides, plus he did win a State Title just not this year and that is what Mayer did. I just think don't know who it will go to and you can't complain whoever gets it. All of them are great players.

I don't think you could say anything if Mayer won. But you could say that Smith might be the best play in the State. He also played both way and dominated both sides, plus he did win a State Title just not this year and that is what Mayer did. I just think don't know who it will go to and you can't complain whoever gets it. All of them are great players.

I agree. Multiple players worthy but unfortunately only one will win.