Mr. Football Watchlist: Now that the dust has settled, where do we stand?

DevilMayCare

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kentucky Football Coaches Association began awarding its own Mr. Football last season, separate from the traditional AP award. I don't believe there's been a date announced for the AP Mr. Football, but the KFCA will announce their winner later this month. The winner will be chosen from the list of KFCA award winners for class players of the year.

The finalists are as follows:

1A - Malachi Corley (ATH), Campbellsville

2A - Kaiya Sheron (QB/DB), Somerset

3A - Jonathan Maher (QB/DB), Fleming County

4A - Reese Smith (WR/DB), Boyle County

5A - Michael Mayer (TE/LB), Covington Catholic

6A - Izayah Cummings (WR), Male

Thanks for the info. I was wondering when their announcement was.

For me The Kentucky Football Coaches Association award means a ton more than the AP award. I feel the same with the All-State team. I know for a FACT of players getting AP votes on offensive but only plays defense. I believe I read somewhere that the first AP poll this year the same team got votes in 2 different classes.

Michael Mayer deserves it. Catching, blocking, running, tackling, etc, he does it all at a high level. With his exceptional athleticism I am stunned that he wasn't used more in mismatches where he could exploit the defenders deficiencies. He was the best player at Kroger Field over the weekend.

The Kentucky Football Coaches Association began awarding its own Mr. Football last season, separate from the traditional AP award. I don't believe there's been a date announced for the AP Mr. Football, but the KFCA will announce their winner later this month. The winner will be chosen from the list of KFCA award winners for class players of the year.

The finalists are as follows:

1A - Malachi Corley (ATH), Campbellsville

2A - Kaiya Sheron (QB/DB), Somerset

3A - Jonathan Maher (QB/DB), Fleming County

4A - Reese Smith (WR/DB), Boyle County

5A - Michael Mayer (TE/LB), Covington Catholic

6A - Izayah Cummings (WR), Male

Alright... I'll be the bad guy....

No offense to the kid, but ummmmmm..... one of these Finalists is not like the others!

London Stephney, Bell County

James Johnson, DeSales

Demetri Scott, DeSales

John Young, CAL

Kaelin Drakeford, Mercer County

Ben Bentley, Belfry

Blake Hester, Ashland

Nathan Conley, Russell

All names I just listed.. I would have expected to see before Maher as a finalist if you are picking a name from 3A and those are only the Seniors.

Additionally, with Sheron listed I guess this officially means Mr. Football is no longer a Senior only award?

Give it to Michael Mayer. Let CCH have one Mr. Football. We have 8 state titles, plenty of great athletes that have gone thru the program and never even close on Mr. Football award. I thought AJ Mayer had a shot 2 years ago but nope. Michael Mayer is a ton more talented than his older brother. No offense AJ.

No offense to the kid, but ummmmmm..... one of these Finalists is not like the others!

James Johnson, DeSales

Demetri Scott, DeSales

John Young, CAL

Ben Bentley, Belfry

Blake Hester, Ashland

Nathan Conley, Russell

All names I just listed.. I would have expected to see before Maher as a finalist if you are picking a name from 3A and those are only the Seniors.

Additionally, with Sheron listed I guess this officially means Mr. Football is no longer a Senior only award?

Yeah, his name definitely sticks out like a sore thumb in regards to statewide recognition. Class 3A lacked that one obvious player or two (or three or four) that would have fit right in with the other five.

Maher was super productive on both sides of the ball for a 10-win district champion. Statistically, he stood out. Maybe that was all it took in 3A this year? Personally, I would have gone with either Stephney or Scott.

James Johnson, DeSales

Demetri Scott, DeSales

John Young, CAL

Ben Bentley, Belfry

Blake Hester, Ashland

Nathan Conley, Russell

Player of the Year in a class can be anyone. Only seniors can be Mr. Football and you do not have to win Player of the Year to win Mr. Football. Beau Allen will absolutely get votes for Mr. Football but Reese Smith won 4A Player of the Year.

I know for a FACT of players getting AP votes on offensive but only plays defense. I believe I read somewhere that the first AP poll this year the same team got votes in 2 different classes.

Can't confirm or deny any of this. But, if true (and not just an honest clerical type of error), that person/paper should lose their voting privileges.

James Johnson, DeSales

Demetri Scott, DeSales

John Young, CAL

Ben Bentley, Belfry

Blake Hester, Ashland

Nathan Conley, Russell

I believe DMC was slightly mistaken. His list was the KFCA Player Of The Year winners for each class, which are not necessarily awarded to seniors only.

Here are the finalists for the KFCA Mr. Football Award, all are seniors:

Beau Allen - Lexington Catholic

Malachi Corley - Campbellsville

Izayah Cummings - Male

Franklin Hayes - McCracken County

Jeriah Hightower - Madisonville-North Hopkins

Jonathan Maher - Fleming County

Michael Mayer - Covington Catholic

Octavius Oxendine - North Hardin

Walker Parks - Frederick Douglass

Kaiya Sheron - Somerset

Reese Smith - Boyle County

I believe DMC was slightly mistaken. His list was the KFCA Player Of The Year winners for each class, which are not necessarily awarded to seniors only.

Here are the finalists for the KFCA Mr. Football Award, all are seniors:

Beau Allen - Lexington Catholic

Malachi Corley - Campbellsville

Izayah Cummings - Male

Franklin Hayes - McCracken County

Jeriah Hightower - Madisonville-North Hopkins

Jonathan Maher - Fleming County

Michael Mayer - Covington Catholic

Octavius Oxendine - North Hardin

Walker Parks - Frederick Douglass

Kaiya Sheron - Somerset

Reese Smith - Boyle County