District Champion Determination

Mr.Network

I saw a social media post that a certain team wrapped up district play as their district’s champion. From my understanding, it is too soon to make such a claim. The winner of Round 2 of the Playoffs is the District Champion.

From KHSAA website:

PLAYOFF BRACKETS - SECOND ROUND, ALL CLASSES

In the second round, the winner of the game between slots one (1) and two (2) will play the winner of three (3) and four (4), and so on through the bottom of the original 32-team bracket.

In all second-round games, the team with the highest seeded position (finishing position in district) shall host the game.

The winner of the second round games will be the District Champion and the team not winning that second round game will be the District Runner-up.

Edited by Mr.Network

People are just used to saying it because in the past, the way the playoffs were structured meant the district champion was the regular season champ. But the trophy will go to the second round winner.

Yeah, I don't really fault them, although it will absolutely cause some confusion and I'm certain there will be some incorrect letterman jacket patches put on this season.