Reds at Mariners (9/10 - 9/12)

nkypete

The 67-77 Reds, in 4th place of the NL Central, travel to Seattle to take on the fifth place in the AL West Mariners (58-86). The Reds are 14.5 games in back of the Cardinals and won the last game of the previous series against the Diamondbacks. The Mariners are 36.5 games behind the Astros and have lost their last six games!

Starting pitchers:

9/10 - 10:10 PM - Bauer 10-12 4.60 ERA 228 SO 1.30 WHIP (CIN) vs. Sheffield 0-1 5.51 ERA 18 SO 1.78 WHIP (SEA)

9/11 - 10:10 PM - Gray 10-6 2.75 ERA 181 SO 1.10 WHIP (CIN) vs. Gonzales 14-11 4.37 ERA 128 SO 1.37 WHIP (SEA)

9/12 - 10:10 PM - Mahle 2-11 4.94 ERA 114 SO 1.28 WHIP (CIN) vs. Undecided (SEA)

Bullpen blows another game. Who was it this time? Probably Lorenzen or Garrett since it was the 8th inning.

I was sleeping by then. According to the box score, I believe it was Garrett because he got credit for the blown save and loss.

Gray had a no hitter going and in the 7th inning, he hits a batter, walks a batter and then gives up a Home Run to a rookie that has been in the big leagues for about a week. Our staff don't realize what walks will do. Welsh said last night that he believes pitchers don't care about walks anymore. He may be right.

Welsh said last night that he believes pitchers don't care about walks anymore. He may be right.

Welsh is a clown.

I didn't get to see the broadcast last night, so don't have any context to go with that statement, but...I can see where he has a point. Now, that being said, there's still going to be the "politically correct" statement to the contrary. But, heck, wasn't it just last year that Robert Stephenson said walks were "a part of his game"? Stupid, I know. But if they're worried so much about giving up a homer, a walk is "minor" in their mind. It comes down to pitchers being aggressive vs. passive. Too many are focused on what not to do (give up the homer) than they are on being focused on getting the batter out.