Angels at Reds (8/5 - 8/6)

I was waiting to see if someone else was going to start the series thread, but when 3:30pm EST rolled around, I got tired of waiting.

Angels come into town for just a two game series, with the Reds being a heavy (-210) favorite in the first game.

Tonight we have Castillo (10-4, 2.63 ERA) vs. Sandoval (4-7, 5.71 ERA in the minors. I believe this is his MLB debut).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reds are projected to have 21K in attendance tonight, as opposed to 16K vs. the Pirates last Monday. I'd like to think its because people are a little more excited about this team and interest is building but in reality, its probably the Mike Trout affect. I'm just hoping they are thirsty.

Per the Reds Twitter:

The #Reds have selected the contract of IF Brian O'Grady from the Triple-A @ LouisvilleBats. IF Derek Dietrich has been placed on the 10-day IL with left shoulder inflammation and IF Blake Trahan has been designated for assignment.

Edited by Jumper_Dad
Remove mention tag

And what the heck do the Reds have against Ervin? I'm glad that Aquino has had some success early on, but when Puig go traded, you'd think that somebody batting over .300 in the majors would take precedence over a rookie getting his first taste of the bigs. Just not sure I get what's going on here.

I totally agree with you. Irvin and Vanmeter have been on fire and they have sat lately.

It is all about potential. They pretty much know who Ervin but need to see and give a chance to Aquino. He could be a 50 home run guy. I am sure everyone said that when Rose changed positions to give George Foster a chance.

Outfield is a little crowded but I agree we need to see who we are moving forward with. Here is the list and I’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts.

1. Winker-terrible defensively, but I truly think can be a 300 hitter.

2. Senzel (can play infield and more than likely his best spot). Love his potential.

3. Irvin-has played well at times this season and had probaly the best spring training than everyone.

4. Aquino- unreal power but we know nothing defensively.

5. Crook-having a great year with the Bats and is on fire. Up around 330 average wise.

6. Prospect- We got a prospect from the A’s who has tremendous upside.

Who are the 4 you would move forward with? Big question that has to be answered moving forward. Believe it or not the same issue is pressing with the second base, and SS side of things. But that is for another day and discussion. Reds take both from Angels!!!!! Go Redlegs!!

It is all about potential. They pretty much know who Ervin but need to see and give a chance to Aquino. He could be a 50 home run guy. I am sure everyone said that when Rose changed positions to give George Foster a chance.

Any of the other past 4 years at this time, and I'd agree with you on seeing who Aquino is at this time. However, if you are truly trying to "win" this year, then this is not the time to be starting a guy 3 out of his first 4 games up. I don't care what a guy is hitting in the minors...he's still in the minors. Ervin is getting a hit 1 out of 3 times up, at the major league level. He may not have the pop potential that Puig did, so I understand him not starting then. But now that you have an opening? Uh-uh. If he's nursing an injury, okay, maybe. But I hadn't heard anything.

Look, I've got nothing against Aquino. Like I said, I'm glad he came through for us. But you can't tell me it wasn't anything more than a roll of the dice putting him in there, at this point of the season, where they are in the standings, and what they're claiming to try to do.