Rowan County vs. McCracken County (Whitaker Bank/KHSAA State Baseball Quarterfinal)

Who advances to the state semifinals?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who advances to the state semifinals?

• Rowan County
    • McCracken County

The red hot Vikings (39-3) continued to lower their already state leading 1.21 ERA with a 5-0 shutout of Lawrence County in the Semi-State round. Meanwhile, McCracken County (31-7) showcased its offensive firepower in a 14-1 rout of Hopkinsville, the Mustangs' fourth double digit scoring outburst in their last six games.

This is a matchup of two of the top pitching staffs in the state, so expect runs to be at a premium.

Game time is Thursday, June 6th at 5:30pm at Whitaker Bank Ballpark.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is going to be something to see. I expect two of the top pitchers in the state to face off.

For Rowan County, AJ Hacker; 10-1, 0.60 ERA,120 K's (#3 in state).

For McCracken County, Jacob Ehling with a 0.84 ERA.

It could be interesting to see how McCracken County decides to use Ehling. They may start Dustin Schneider and bring Ehling in behind him. They have done that this year. However, with the draw McCracken County plays three games in three days if they keep winning, and that may not allow them flexibility in pitching strategy. This pitching strategy and how to use Ehling will be interesting to watch.

Lost in all the talk about Rowan County's pitching is the fact that they lead the state in runs scored and RBI, and are second in hits.

On the pitching side Rowan County leads the state in ERA and strikeouts.

Rowan County statistically is the team to beat in the tournament.

McCracken County has been much more successful at the state tournament than has Rowan County. The Mustangs have advanced to the state semifinals in each of the last three seasons. Rowan County has only been once of late, losing to Muhlenberg County in 2017 in the wake of their coach passing away due to cancer. Does experience win out here?

Doesn't dominate pitching win out at most levels of baseball? But, I believe it to be true even more so at the high school level. I believe Rowan gets to the finals before their staff depth plays the deciding role. RC will be 2019 State Champions.

Doesn't dominate pitching win out at most levels of baseball? But, I believe it to be true even more so at the high school level. I believe Rowan gets to the finals before their staff depth plays the deciding role. RC will be 2019 State Champions.

It would not be a surprise. The big caveat I have on Rowan County is strength of schedule. How big a factor does the lack of strength in the schedule have to do with all those gaudy stats?