Bengals Coaching Staff

While we obviously have to wait for the formal introduction for Zac Taylor as the new Bengals head coach, it appears there's already some indication as to who might join him on the staff.

Bengals hiring Brian Callahan as OC, per Jon Gruden

At least according to Jon Gruden, Brian Callahan will be the next Bengals OC. He's got just 9 years experience, most recently being the Raiders QB coach.

The article aslo says that his dad, Bill Calahan, may be coming to be the offensive line coach.

I also saw that the DC job was likely down to between Jack Del Rio and John Fox, with Del Rio being the favorite. I like the fact that, with either one of them, there'd be someone on the staff that's had some head coaching experience.

Taylor has some connection with Bill Callahan but I can't remember what it is, so I am not surprised to hear about him coming on board. I really like hiring an experienced defensive coordinator. I heard an analyst talking shortly after Taylor was hired and he said it would be critical for Taylor to hire a very experienced defensive coordinator because of his lack of on that side of the ball.

Taylor has some connection with Bill Callahan but I can't remember what it is, so I am not surprised to hear about him coming on board. I really like hiring an experienced defensive coordinator. I heard an analyst talking shortly after Taylor was hired and he said it would be critical for Taylor to hire a very experienced defensive coordinator because of his lack of on that side of the ball.

I believe Bill was his head coach at Nebraska when Zac quarterbacked there. Sounds like he is a lock to be the O-line coach, a position (unlike head coach) he is very highly regarded in.

The fact that neither Taylor or Callahan have any much experience calling plays in an NFL game gives me concern.

Everybody who is calling plays in the NFL, at some point, had zero experience calling plays in the NFL. And anyone who is available that has experience, has likely been fired. I’ve got no issues hiring a first time coordinator.

I believe Bill was his head coach at Nebraska when Zac quarterbacked there. Sounds like he is a lock to be the O-line coach, a position (unlike head coach) he is very highly regarded in.

He is still actually under contract with the Washinton Redskins. They say he is trying to get out of his contract, but ultimately it depends if the Redskins let him. If they do then yeah its probably a lock he will be here.

The fact that neither Taylor or Callahan have any much experience calling plays in an NFL game gives me concern.

Everybody who is calling plays in the NFL, at some point, had zero experience calling plays in the NFL. And anyone who is available that has experience, has likely been fired. I’ve got no issues hiring a first time coordinator.

Exactly! At one point Sean McVay had never called a play. Shoot he was only 28 years old when he became Washingtons Offensive Coordinator under Jay Gruden. I say that worked out.

So yeah the chances of it working out or not working out. Is about the same as if they hired someone with experience.

I have no idea if this is how it will play out. However Zac Taylor's father in law is Mike Sherman. He has been a head coach at multiple places and also a OC. He is regarded by some as also one of the best o line coaches in football too. So maybe we will see Bill Callahan be the OL coach who is also one of the best, and then Mike Sherman and Assistant Head Coach and Running back coach. Allow Mike and Bill design the running game, and then young offensive guys the passing game. That would be a nice mix of old experience coaches with new younger coaches.

I agree with what you posted. But if hiring a first time coordinator with no play calling experience, I would hope the head coach had more experience calling plays to assist. Or vice versa. Them both being relatively new to play calling is what gives me pause.

With that said, it may work out completely fine and I’ll be glad that my hesitation is unfounded.