Trial in College Basketball Corruption Case Has Begun

UKMustangFan

And it's already a circus. This is going to be fascinating to follow IMO.

Dan Wetzel

‏Verified account @danWetzel

Gatto's atty also said Under Armor paid $20,000 to recruit Silvio De Sousa to sign with Maryland and Arizona offered $150,000 for Nassir Little. De Sousa is at Kansas, Little at UNC now. Goal is to make all of college hoops look corrupt.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Goodman

‏Verified account @GoodmanHoops

3m3 minutes ago

College hoops trial update: Defense attorney for Jim Gatto claims in opening statement the evidence will show that Oregon offered an “astronomical amount of money” if Brian Bowen went to Oregon. She was illustrating that Gatto was leveling the playing field.

0 replies 0 retweets 0 likes

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that has changed, is the NCAA now says they'll use testimony in court as proof against member schools. So if it's proven in court someone was paid to play, the NCAA will not have to conduct a separate investigation and try to prove it themselves. They can quickly proceed with punishment.

In the Kansas situation Gassnola is saying that he paid players or their associates money but none of the coaches were aware. We all know that’s very likely untrue but I agree with Deuce that not much is going to result from this.

The NCAA (and Sports Illustrated) hammered UK very hard back in the 1989 money scandal under Sutton, but the NCAA is more lax these days than in the past. Plus there’s too many big name schools involved in this and too much money at stake.

One thing that has changed, is the NCAA now says they'll use testimony in court as proof against member schools. So if it's proven in court someone was paid to play, the NCAA will not have to conduct a separate investigation and try to prove it themselves. They can quickly proceed with punishment.

So KU will have to forfeit all games from last season De Sousa played in and he'll be ruled immediately ineligible this year.....I know that's how it should work, but fat chance they do anything to the Jayhawks.

In the Kansas situation Gassnola is saying that he paid players or their associates money but none of the coaches were aware. We all know that’s very likely untrue but I agree with Deuce that not much is going to result from this.

The NCAA (and Sports Illustrated) hammered UK very hard back in the 1989 money scandal under Sutton, but the NCAA is more lax these days than in the past. Plus there’s too many big name schools involved in this and too much money at stake.

Still makes the players ineligible, and the schools will have to forfeit all games they played those ineligible players.

So KU will have to forfeit all games from last season De Sousa played in and he'll be ruled immediately ineligible this year.....I know that's how it should work, but fat chance they do anything to the Jayhawks.

According to what they've said, yes. But like you, I'll believe it when I see it.

Arizona got lucky since DeAndre Ayton got paid as well. Now they can vacate that first round blowout loss to Buffalo in the tournament.

Will the NCAA use these folks testimony as proof, or actually wait to find out if their testimonies are indeed true? Lord knows no one has ever lied in court...

Good question. One difference is that Feds will actively go after you for perjury for lying in Federal court, where many times in state court the state won't. Lot bigger risk to lie to Federal prosecutors under oath, they will put you in prison.