2018/19 8th region

With the season just around the corner it's time to discuss the 8th region. Prephoops Kentucky just posted preview for the 8th region. Here is the link: Top 5: Eighth Region | Prep Hoops

If you don't have a subscription here is a summary (not going to cut and paste premium info).

Their top 5 teams for this year and players mentioned for both teams are the following:

Walton Verona: Team returns Dieonte Miles and 9 seniors. Team to beat.

Gallatin County: Troy Coomer one of the best shooters in the state

Collins: After losing Feltner and Fort the junior class will get a chance to shine. McKnight and Vail.

Spencer County: 4. Spencer County – One of the youngest teams in the region last season, Spencer returns most of their core, including a very good Sophomore class. After two years of varsity experience for Jake Whitlock and Sam Conley, the Bears should look to make some strides this year.

South Oldham: Even though they were decimated by graduation. South Oldham looks to be the fifth best team in the region.

Top College Prospects:

1. Dieonte Miles

2. Dayvion McKnight

3. Kelly Niece

4. Marcellus Vail

5. Luke Morrison

There is a write up for each player.

I would say that is the top 5 in my opinion. What does everybody think?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Edwards kid is ever cleared, which I hear he is, at Collins, that adds a 6’8 presence in the middle. At shelby he was not great offensively but good defender and rebounder, 2 things that they really needed.

However, with TJ Robinson staying at shelby after being denied transfer to Collins, Shelby May have best front court in region with Robinson, 6’5 sophomore Gordon and 6’3 JR Tingle. They will however be very young at guard.

Edited by TigerTigerWoodsYall
Spelling

If the Edwards kid is ever cleared, which I hear he is, at Collins, that adds a 6’8 presence in the middle. At shelby he was not great offensively but good defender and rebounder, 2 things that they really needed.

However, with TJ Robinson staying at shelby after being denied transfer to Collins, Shelby May have best front court in region with Robinson, 6’5 sophomore Gordon and 6’3 JR Tingle. They will however be very young at guard.

Not sure there is a better front court in the 8th than what Walton-Verona will put on the floor. 6'11 Xavier committ Miles, 6'8 Brook who is very solid, and leading returning scorer and rebounder 6'4 Pardee at Forward. If Shelby is topping that then they are must-see.

Not sure there is a better front court in the 8th than what Walton-Verona will put on the floor. 6'11 Xavier committ Miles, 6'8 Brook who is very solid, and leading returning scorer and rebounder 6'4 Pardee at Forward. If Shelby is topping that then they are must-see.

I agree Bluecats--Walton Verona is easily the best frontcourt in the region. Guard play is more important in high school basketball in my opinion. I would give the edge to Collins over Walton Verona.

Probably right. I may be wrong, I watched them at KOB and Miles was hurt and I did not see much else. I have seen Shelby guys lately and they have chance to be good.

Bryan Hyat at Anderson does not have one single game of head coaching experience and he got left a raw deal this year, especially with arguably his best player being injured from football. May be a tough 3 years for this new comer

Probably right. I may be wrong, I watched them at KOB and Miles was hurt and I did not see much else. I have seen Shelby guys lately and they have chance to be good.

Bryan Hyat at Anderson does not have one single game of head coaching experience and he got left a raw deal this year, especially with arguably his best player being injured from football. May be a tough 3 years for this new comer

Watched Miles play at AAU tournament in Louisville. Very impressive. Signed with Xavier. He should be player of the year in region.

I realize that Anderson has always scheduled down and not played any comp, but I don’t think I have seen Walton play many of the Shelby schools, Anderson, or Spencer for last few years? Who are they playing, do they stay up north? Any louisivlle schools? Oldhams? Other than KOB I never see or hear of them during season.

I agree Bluecats--Walton Verona is easily the best frontcourt in the region. Guard play is more important in high school basketball in my opinion. I would give the edge to Collins over Walton Verona.

Collins definitely has the better guards but WV has a few nice ones as well. Should be a great year in the 8th!

I realize that Anderson has always scheduled down and not played any comp, but I don’t think I have seen Walton play many of the Shelby schools, Anderson, or Spencer for last few years? Who are they playing, do they stay up north? Any louisivlle schools? Oldhams? Other than KOB I never see or hear of them during season.

WV has played Anderson the past few years as well as Oldham and South Oldham. They do play a lot of teams up north just because of their location and having to play Trimble, Owen, Carroll, Eminence, Henry, etc because of conference. I think they are playing Spencer this year which will be a nice match up. Simon Kenton and Walton-Verona are over an hour away from the Louisville area schools which makes it tough when they are required to play those conference teams mentioned above.

I just think every school should play every other school at least once and district teams 2x. Kind of like conference play in college. I would love for WV tonllau some teams around 30th district more so we could see the Miles kid.

Does anyone have info on the EDWARDS kid at Collins. Is he eligible. If Anderson wins 5 games Hyatt for COY.

I just think every school should play every other school at least once and district teams 2x. Kind of like conference play in college. I would love for WV tonllau some teams around 30th district more so we could see the Miles kid.

Does anyone have info on the EDWARDS kid at Collins. Is he eligible. If Anderson wins 5 games Hyatt for COY.

Walton-Verona plays every team in the region this year besides Collins, North Oldham and Shelby County.