Who will be the Top 5 QBs in Kentucky for 2018?

The Cameron Jones to UC thread got me thinking about this (congrats again Cameron).

Is Jones one of the Top 5 QBs in KY? Who else should be on that list? And let's try to stick to Top 5 only so the list doesn't get too long.

I'm not completely sold on Jones as a top 5 quarterback, yet. His size and arm strength are impressive, but the gap between the opposition he faced at Knott County Central and what he'll see at Frederick Douglass is as wide as the Grand Canyon. With a strong senior campaign, he could definitely play his way into the top 5, but I can't put him there right now, even with his commitment to Cincinnati.

My list focuses on pro-style QBs...

1. Beau Allen (Jr, Lexington Catholic) 204/329 - 2,873 yards - 33 TDs/9 ints.

2. Beau Buchanan (Sr, Bowling Green) 162/251 - 2,287 - 25 TDs/3 ints

3. Joey Cambron (Sr, Daviess County) 236/421 - 4,078 yards - 49 TDs/11 ints.

4. Wiley Cain (Sr, Pulaski County) 233/395 - 2,562 yards - 20 TDs/13 ints.

5. Reed Lanter (Jr, Boyle County) 181/263 - 2,597 yards - 28 TDs/4 ints. - State Champ in 2017

You know what? I would not count Trinity's QB out-------whoever it may be.

I was thinking the same thing earlier today. Whoever it ends up being, I'm sure Trinity's QB will be in the top 5 conversation. At this point, Beatty and his staff have earned the benefit of the doubt on first year starting QBs.

I'm not completely sold on Jones as a top 5 quarterback, yet. His size and arm strength are impressive, but the gap between the opposition he faced at Knott County Central and what he'll see at Frederick Douglass is as wide as the Grand Canyon. With a strong senior campaign, he could definitely play his way into the top 5, but I can't put him there right now, even with his commitment to Cincinnati.

My list focuses on pro-style QBs...

1. Beau Allen (Jr, Lexington Catholic) 204/329 - 2,873 yards - 33 TDs/9 ints.

2. Beau Buchanan (Sr, Bowling Green) 162/251 - 2,287 - 25 TDs/3 ints

3. Joey Cambron (Sr, Daviess County) 236/421 - 4,078 yards - 49 TDs/11 ints.

4. Wiley Cain (Sr, Pulaski County) 233/395 - 2,562 yards - 20 TDs/13 ints.

5. Reed Lanter (Jr, Boyle County) 181/263 - 2,597 yards - 28 TDs/4 ints. - State Champ in 2017

People tried to say the same thing about Tanner Morgan went he went from Ashland back to Ryle. How huge difference between 1a and 6a and people doubted that he would look as good. Well I think people saw it wasn't a problem at all for him moving to 6A.

People seem to forget yes the competition as you said would be better. But have to realize the talent around him then also will be better. I don't think it will be a problem at all for him.

People tried to say the same thing about Tanner Morgan went he went from Ashland back to Ryle. How huge difference between 1a and 6a and people doubted that he would look as good. Well I think people saw it wasn't a problem at all for him moving to 6A.

People seem to forget yes the competition as you said would be better. But have to realize the talent around him then also will be better. I don't think it will be a problem at all for him.

Hazard, not Ashland.

Can't knock the kid for the class or competition they play against, but Drew Hartz for Owensboro Catholic is one to watch. The upcoming junior is 6'3 and stepped in as a soph last year to throw 26 TDs. His brother lit up 2A back in 2013 and Drew is a taller more athletic version.

Eli Sammons- Greenup. 6'5 200. 2432yds and 27tds last season as a sophomore. Has put on alot of size and strength this off season. Also has most of his skill players back this year.

He just missed the cut for my top 5. Sammons is legit and I think he's right on the cusp of being an elite QB in this state. By season's end, he should be much more well known around the bluegrass, especially if Greenup takes a big step forward as a team this year.

Austin Carr CAL will be a 4 year starter.

He missed four games last year for reasons I will not detail here.

Stat wise, he accounted for less than 125 yards (combined rushing and passing) and less than 1.5 touchdowns per game.

Taking stats into account and that CAL was still very good without him, that does NOT scream overall top five in the state.

He is tough as nails, though, when he is on the field.

Eli Sammons- Greenup. 6'5 200. 2432yds and 27tds last season as a sophomore. Has put on alot of size and strength this off season. Also has most of his skill players back this year.

I also Agree Sammons is in the discussion for top 5. He was invited to Elite 11 this year as a Junior to be, holds several school records for passing and has a burning desire to be an elite QB (not that the aforementioned QBs dont have that desire).Plus elite size and does very well academically. Most on here don't know the name because hes not slinging it at Private School or in a "Big Market"