1999 Toyota Avalon with 300,000 miles...so

BigVMan23

...I'm looking at it as a drive to work car. Looks good, I know the owner, has taken care of it and tells me there are no issues with it that he knows of. Older couple, wife has drove it mostly.

I know that's a ton of miles but I believe mostly highway.which of course is much easier on the engine. What do you think?

I had a used and abused one. Ugly and the body was beat badly by the two previous owners. It was given to me, it was so ugly! I drove it two years to work. You literally couldn't kill the power train in that thing. I DROVE it to the junk yard because of all the other parts and minor repair I wasn't going to fix and didn't have room for it anymore but it started every day and drove well. If mine still ran being beat and neglected as it was I would definitely go for a well maintenanced one!

Stay away from a car with that many miles that is that old. Stuff just starts to wear out and break.

My thoughts as well. Toyota makes a great vehicle and the motor and transmission may last for another 100k plus. However the steering, suspension, alternator, fuel pump, etc are all probably on their way out if they haven't been replaced already. Little things like that can turn into a lot of cash when it comes to the repairs, unless you're able to do it yourself.

My thoughts as well. Toyota makes a great vehicle and the motor and transmission may last for another 100k plus. However the steering, suspension, alternator, fuel pump, etc are all probably on their way out if they haven't been replaced already. Little things like that can turn into a lot of cash when it comes to the repairs, unless you're able to do it yourself.

Yep. No matter how well maintained, your likely looking at a bunch of minor repairs at best. If you can do the work yourself, and don't mind doing the work, then it might not be such a bad thing. Personally, there are just too many good used cars available for under $10k with a lot less miles and concerns.

How much? I wouldn't pay more than a $2,000 for anything with that amount of miles.

$2,000 still sounds high. The missing part of the equation is how much maintenance has the current owners put in? If they have done most of it, then $2,000 is fair. If not this is a total gamble. A timing belt and water pump alone quickly puts you at $1000 bill.

Timing belts and suspensions are big wear items on high mileage cars, none are reasonable repairs.

I'm selling my 99 Buick Le Sabre Custom. It only has 120,000 miles on it, has cold A/C, and runs like a champ. Still gets good gas mileage, too. The car has never seen snow or salt and it spends its nights inside of a garage, so the body is clean. No rust.

I'm asking for $2000, but if I get $1000 for it, I'll feel really lucky.

...I'm looking at it as a drive to work car. Looks good, I know the owner, has taken care of it and tells me there are no issues with it that he knows of. Older couple, wife has drove it mostly.

I know that's a ton of miles but I believe mostly highway.which of course is much easier on the engine. What do you think?

If you don't drive to far for work, I'd say go for it if you can get it for $1,000 or less.

I'm selling my 99 Buick Le Sabre Custom. It only has 120,000 miles on it, has cold A/C, and runs like a champ. Still gets good gas mileage, too. The car has never seen snow or salt and it spends its nights inside of a garage, so the body is clean. No rust.

That's odd, I'd think that be a prime car for all the retirees in Florida. :lol2:

For $1,000, if you lived here you would have just sold it, I'd be on the way to your house.

As for the car here, I think I'm just going to use my money and put it into my 96 Ford Ranger, that has 240,000 miles on it. It could use some work, just as well to use the money for that than to spend several hundred on another vehicle that may have several problems of its own and require work/money be spent on it.

Dang. Wish I would've known, and that you were up this way.

Just spent $3,000 on a 2002 Liberty with roughly 115,000 miles last month. Runs great, but has about 18 inch long spots under each back door where it's rusted completely out. Only planning on driving the thing for a year, maybe 18 months, but would've definitely went with the Buick and paid you full price too!