1980 Holmes guard Mark Elmer has passed away

Mark Elmer, starting guard and running mate of Dicky Beal on one of the highest scoring teams of all time, has passed away at the age of 55.

Mark was part of a Bulldog squad that averaged 88 PPG in compiling a 33-3 record. A silky smooth left handed guard, Mark was also an outstanding baseball player as a switch hitting and even switch throwing outfielder. Sadly he was preceded in death by two other members of the 1980 Bulldogs, Elliott Simpson and Todd Whatley.

I have not know Mark but for the last 6 years living next door to him. Never knew or remember seeing him play, but I can tell you this - He was a better human being than he was a player. What a guy. Would help anyone who needed it if he could, even though he did not have much more than who he was helping. He loved doing that. He was truly a great dude. He will be missed.

Love ya man!

Mark was simply a great person. I had the privilege of being a player on that great 80 Bulldog team and we had so much fun together. Being one of Mark’s hotel roomie’s along with Todd Whatley in the state tournament, we used to stay up late and joke around and laugh so hard I thought we would get in trouble but we didn’t. I will carry those wonderful memories with me for the rest of my life. My thoughts and prayers are with Mark’s family. RIP my Bulldog teammates: Mark, Todd, and El!

There are a few stories about Mark that make me smile, including him telling me that I would never understand what this "whacked out cat from Minnesota" named Prince (who I saw on the Midnight Special I think) was all about.

I remember him having a really big game like 38 points and 10 assists (seriously) and the headline said "Beal leads Bulldogs ..." He shrugged it off and said "it's been like that my whole life."

He was a good guy.