Pineapple-tainted high-five sends allergic girl to hospital

Jumper_Dad

Pineapple-tainted high-five sends allergic girl to hospital, 3 teens face charges

3 teenage girls came up with a scheme to put pineapple juice on a girl that they knew was highly allergic to it. One girl rubbed pineapple juice on her hands then gave the victim a high five exposing her to the pineapple. She was rushed to a hospital after reacting to it and luckily later released.

What in the world are kids thinking these days???

Pineapple-tainted high-five sends allergic girl to hospital, 3 teens face charges

3 teenage girls came up with a scheme to put pineapple juice on a girl that they knew was highly allergic to it. One girl rubbed pineapple juice on her hands then gave the victim a high five exposing her to the pineapple. She was rushed to a hospital after reacting to it and luckily later released.

What in the world are kids thinking these days???

They are not thinking beyond the next tweet, text, or post... Just whatever seems like fun in the here and now. Sad.

My daughter is allergic to most things that grow from the ground (i.e. trees, grass, etc.). But it also includes a lot of raw fruits and vegetables (like tomatoes, cucumbers, apples, bananas, etc.). When we tell people, some people are somewhat skeptical...Really...Is she really allergic to raw fruits and vegetables? Luckily her reactions are typically rashes, itching, sneezing, etc. and can be taken care of with Benedryl. Anything cooked is fine.

But I can see kids thinking "I bet she can't be that allergic to Pineapple juice...let's see!" They just don't comprehend that 99% of the people they know are fine, but it's that 1% that are truly different.

So the teenagers were 13/14 years old. That means roundabout 8th or 9th grade.

Is it possible that these girls did know that the other girl was allergic, but didn't know the extent of the allergy?

My younger brother is allergic to cinnamon. I would be willing to bet that I didn't know what the full extent of a severe food allergy could be until I was an adult...because growing up, we would just laugh at my younger brother if he ate food with cinnamon in it. It would make his tongue itch, and he would literally scratch at it with his fingers or with the tines of a fork. It was genuinely funny to see, and little to no real danger to my brother.

The other thing I'm reminded of is a kid named Jason who grew up in my neighborhood. Jason had seizures. I knew that because growing up, we were always told to be mindful of Jason and to run and get an adult if he ever had a seizure. I remember as a kid, 'wanting' Jason to have a seizure around me so I could actually witness what it was like when a person had a seizure...until it actually happened for the first time and scared the living hell out of me.