From Powderkeg to Firestorm - The Corbin - Knox Central Story

Science Friction

This thread is going to detail how a long rivalry between two neighboring schools has gone terribly, terribly wrong and has been sent way off the rails.

Let me just say that I don't really blame this kids for this but I blame the adults. Kids are going to make wrong choices and wrong decisions. But the adults who teach and influence these kids- the parents, teachers, mentors, community leaders- have not always served the kids well. Many of the adults' actions have been reprehensible and likely responsible for the attitudes and actions of impressionable kids. I will outline some of these actions in days to come.

Let me go ahead and say this up front and get it out of the way. Corbin and Knox Central should not schedule to play one another for a very, very long time, if ever again. I hate that it must be that way because it has been an intense rivalry that has seen some very good games. But critical mass has been reached and someone is going to be seriously injured or worse if these schools continue to play. It is no longer just another heated border rivalry. It is well past that now. Over the next few days I am going to give you, my readers and friends, my perspective from watching nearly every game in this series for the past 30 or so years.

I gave you just a little background info about Knox Co. and Corbin City problems in the prediction thread leading up to the game. There is so much animosity between Knox and Corbin. It has spilled over into the communities and into the schools. I will get more specific in days to come and when I have more time. I know you folks long for specifics and I will give you some specifics. It suffices to say that these fan bases, for the most part, hate one another with a passion that I have never seen before.

No one who knows this rivalry is surprised when something negative happens after a Corbin-Knox Central game. Such negativity has been the norm rather than exception in recent years. The amount of police presence at the game on Friday indicated to me that they were expecting problems. I know from talking to one of CPD officers at the game that they were expecting people to be in handcuffs either before or after the game ended, especially if the visitors were on the losing end.

Much of the negative attention the past few days has been on one very talented young man. As a result, one school and one community has gotten most of the negative publicity. Fair or not, that has been the case. A lot of hypocritical statements have been made by those on the opposite side, including from teachers and administrators. If the public at large only knew how hypocritical these statements are, maybe perceptions would shift a bit.

I short, this rivalry is no longer a rivalry but a hate-fest. Whenever people from Knox and Corbin come together for any kind of event, especially a heated sporting event between two really good teams, problems and controversy prevail. These two will likely will likely meet again in the region finals at the Corbin area with a trip to Rupp Arena on the line. These are two teams who could legitimately be playing on Saturday morning in March. They are both that good. With all of that on the line, I can only imagine the level of security at Corbin in March.

Nothing can be done about the two schools meeting in the regional tournament, but they should not play again during the regular season, in my opinion. I wish that weren't the case.

I will talk more about the recent controversy and how one side may have provided the fuel that started the recent firestorm. Lots more to come. Stay tuned...

Edited by Science Friction

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of words that tell us nothing.

Hang on plant. Have you never be teased before? :) I'll get there. Just don't have time. Got a Corbin-South Laurel game to attend. Btw, those two schools aren't exactly best friends. Will be interesting to the see if the South pep section will throw out any taunts to the Corbin kids.

Cliffsnotes version please.

Okay, short version for you. Long history between these two. One is a predominantly white school, the other with a significant number of black athletes. Corbin has a long history of racial intolerance, which seems to rear its ugly head in public every now again. Hypocritical parents and Knox County school officials act like racial insensitivity is Corbin's problem alone when, in fact, they have their own dirty little secrets. Corbin kid, who happens to be the school's superstar golden boy is seen on video making what many interpreted as a racially insensitive remark. Hypocritical parents, teachers, and school administrators from Knox County freak out and the video goes viral. Knox players, parents, teachers, and fans feign hurt and dismay over remarks. The Corbin star, a Furman signee, and his videographer are both suspended from the team. Folks in Barbourville, most of whom have dirty hands themselves, want more. They want the kid to lose his scholly, and much, much worse, as evidenced by very dark social media comments.

The Corbin star received threats well prior to Friday's game. His social media response: " Pray for those who threaten you. Luke 6:28 " Mother of Knox players has gone on racist rants about Corbin kids on social media well prior to controversial video and proudly displays her "THUG LIFE KC " T-shirts on her social media page. The teams may meet again in Corbin in the regional tournament with all of the above forming the backdrop.

That's a quick cliff notes version for you All Blue.

Edited by Science Friction

Okay, short version for you. Long history between these two. One predominantly white school, the other with a significant number of black athletes. Corbin has a long history of racial intolerance, which seems to rear its ugly head in public every now again. Corbin kid, who happens to be the school's superstar golden boy is seen on video making what many interpreted as a racially insensitive remark. Hypocritical parents, teachers, and school administrators from Knox County freak out and the video goes viral. Knox players, parents, teachers, and fans feign hurt and dismay over remarks. The Corbin star, a Furman signee, and his videographer are both suspended from the team. Folks in Barborville, most who have dirty hands themselves, want more. They want the kid to lose his scholly, and much, much worse, as evidenced by very dark social media comments.

The Corbin star received threats well prior to Friday's game. His social media response: " Pray for those who threaten you. Luke 6:28 " Mother of Knox players has gone on racist rants about Corbin kids on social media well prior to controversial video and proudly displays her "THUG LIFE KC " T-shirts on her social media page. The teams may meet again in Corbin in the regional tournament with all of the above forming the backdrop.

I'm impressed you went there.

I'm impressed you went there.

I figure people on here want the unvarnished truth. One community is forced to wear the scarlet letter "R" around its proverbial neck when surrounding areas are just as dirty, if not more so. I'm not giving anyone cover. Granted, Corbin first earned that scarlet letter decades ago but the cross of racism is not theirs alone to bear.

I figure people on here want the unvarnished truth. One community is forced to wear the scarlet letter "R" around its proverbial neck when surrounding areas are just as dirty, if not more so. I'm not giving anyone cover. Granted, Corbin first earned that scarlet letter decades ago but the cross of racism is not theirs alone to bear.

Keep in mind, I said "r" words, not word.

Okay, short version for you. Long history between these two. One is a predominantly white school, the other with a significant number of black athletes. Corbin has a long history of racial intolerance, which seems to rear its ugly head in public every now again. Hypocritical parents and Knox County school officials act like racial insensitivity is Corbin's problem alone when, in fact, they have their own dirty little secrets. Corbin kid, who happens to be the school's superstar golden boy is seen on video making what many interpreted as a racially insensitive remark. Hypocritical parents, teachers, and school administrators from Knox County freak out and the video goes viral. Knox players, parents, teachers, and fans feign hurt and dismay over remarks. The Corbin star, a Furman signee, and his videographer are both suspended from the team. Folks in Barbourville, most of whom have dirty hands themselves, want more. They want the kid to lose his scholly, and much, much worse, as evidenced by very dark social media comments.

Why are you leaving off the racially insensitive tweets that a Corbin resident close to this situation has made in the past? Seems relevant to add that into the equation if you are going to talk about the powderkeg turned into a firestorm.

Why are you leaving off the racially insensitive tweets that a Corbin resident close to this situation has made in the past? Seems relevant to add that into the equation if you are going to talk about the powderkeg turned into a firestorm.

Honesty not aware of it or who the resident is. But if you think I am the least bit surprised...NADA!!! I hear things those things at least once a week... on porch swings, at restaurants, at civic club meetings , from city and county officials, even church picnics. Sadly, comments about cages are considered a big nothingburger in this part of the country. Again, those type of comments are not confined to the city that that has worn the scarlet "R" around its proverbial neck for decades. The racially insensitive emails that circulated around a certain county school beginning back around January 20, 2008 were worse than anything I've heard on a 12 second video. None of it is admirable but it is daily life in SEKY.

Honesty not aware of it or who the resident is. But if you think I am the least bit surprised...NADA!!! I hear things those things at least once a week... on porch swings, at restaurants, at civic club meetings , from city and county officials, even church picnics. Sadly, comments about cages are considered a big nothingburger in this part of the country. Again, those type of comments are not confined to the city that that has worn the scarlet "R" around its proverbial neck for decades. The racially insensitive emails that circulated around a certain county school beginning back around January 20, 2008 were worse than anything I've heard on a 12 second video. None of it is admirable but it is daily life in SEKY.

Agreed. I am very uncomfortable in SEKY but if I have a reason to be there then I am there.

On December 30th there was a tweet after the Knox Central/Corbin game made by a Corbin resident and anyone who saw that tweet wasn’t surprised by last Friday night’s Snapchat.

Just saying......