January 26, 20188 yr Author Who says it is acceptable and has been allowed? Are you now admitting he was being racist? It's certainly not acceptable by my standards. I think it's deplorable that young men and women would talk like this on the court but apparently they do. It seems like most everyone I have asked is aware of it. In my opinion, it could be stopped if those in authority cared enough about it being stopped. But they don't.
January 26, 20188 yr It's certainly not acceptable by my standards. I think it's deplorable that young men and women would talk like this on the court but apparently they do. It seems like most everyone I have asked is aware of it. In my opinion, it could be stopped if those in authority cared enough about it being stopped. But they don't. Well I mean they say a lot of the same things coming out of Corbin right now. They point the finger at the other party, they say it was retaliatory and then they say it was taken out of context and probably not even racial at all..........
January 26, 20188 yr I’ll also add that a lot of the reasoning coming out of Corbin is a huge reason why black people such as myself are mentally frustrated and exhausted with racism. We live in a society now where when black people are offended by something that is easily seen as racist we are told that we are mistaken. Nevermind how much proof you have that it was likely racist. It wasn’t. I guess context isn’t something that our DNA allows us to have properly.
January 26, 20188 yr Author In El Salavdor, I believe it is, one DUI is your last... Firing squad. How about if the first racially charged remark overheard by an official gets a lifetime ban for the player who says it? I bet it would stop then. Of course, this isn't going to happen. People don't care enough to stop it. Besides, kids hear their parents, teachers, even top leaders making racist remarks. Apparently, this kind of stuff has been happening as long as HS sports have been played. I've asked a number of former players and they have all said the same thing- this kind of language is nothing new at all. It's commonplace. I'm not too hopeful it will change.
January 27, 20188 yr I played in that rivalry in 79 & 80. Played against the Taylor's. Our team had a black athlete who is probably the best athlete to play at Knox Central. Lots of things said that were expected back then. Not nice words but when we played, that was to be expected. Till this day I'm not a big fan of Corbin. I guess some things will never change...
January 27, 20188 yr Author I played in that rivalry in 79 & 80. Played against the Taylor's. Our team had a black athlete who is probably the best athlete to play at Knox Central. Lots of things said that were expected back then. Not nice words but when we played, that was to be expected. Till this day I'm not a big fan of Corbin. I guess some things will never change... Just for those who don't know, that was a different bunch of Taylors- Roy and Greg. Greg's son currently plays receiver for the SF 49'ers. Champ, did you play basketball or football? I was trying to remember the KC athlete you were referring to.
January 27, 20188 yr I must not get out enough. From things I always heard in the past, it was Pikeville that had the racial problems. Had never heard anything about Corbin until now.
January 27, 20188 yr Author I must not get out enough. From things I always heard in the past, it was Pikeville that had the racial problems. Had never heard anything about Corbin until now. Story's the same about anywhere in Eastern KY. Not limited to any one place.
January 27, 20188 yr It's certainly not acceptable by my standards. I think it's deplorable that young men and women would talk like this on the court but apparently they do. It seems like most everyone I have asked is aware of it. In my opinion, it could be stopped if those in authority cared enough about it being stopped. But they don't. If officials penalized every verbal jab they could then people would complain that they are ruining the game. For the record I hate the lack of common decency that players display when they are playing and wish officials in all sports would clamp down on it.
January 27, 20188 yr Author If officials penalized every verbal jab they could then people would complain that they are ruining the game. For the record I hate the lack of common decency that players display when they are playing and wish officials in all sports would clamp down on it. Good points. I had no idea that racially charged jabs have been an acceptable behavior for so long. Apparently they are. I'm told its pretty common everywhere. Why should anyone really be surprised at a little trash talk video that is pretty indicative of what is said all the time during games? If we wanted it out of the game, we'd see to it that it was eliminated. Apparently, it doesn't really bother us that much.
January 27, 20188 yr Any audible profanity is supposed to be penalized in every sport across the board. I would definitely count racial slurs as profanity.
January 27, 20188 yr Good points. I had no idea that racially charged jabs have been an acceptable behavior for so long. Apparently they are. I'm told its pretty common everywhere. Why should anyone really be surprised at a little trash talk video that is pretty indicative of what is said all the time during games? If we wanted it out of the game, we'd see to it that it was eliminated. Apparently, it doesn't really bother us that much. Not every football player partakes in racial trash talk. Not every one by far. It's trash. Recording it on video is also trash. There is no justification for it.
January 28, 20188 yr Author Not every football player partakes in racial trash talk. Not every one by far. It's trash. Recording it on video is also trash. There is no justification for it. I agree. Also just plain ignorant. What percentage of athletes engage in such trash talk I have no idea. I have asked a bunch of former athletes, both football and basketball , and they tell me it's quite common. How common I don't know, but I've been told "quite common." People I have talked to tell me that N-word or something similar is not a rare utterance that is heard. As I mentioned before, a KC football player yelled racial slurs at the Corbin team and fans. Saw it and heard it with my own eyes and ears. Same thing happened with social media posts leading up to the game. It has gone both ways. The video comment , while not good, is the least inflammatory remark that has come to light. The Corbin kid apparently received threats a week before the KC game. He responded with a verse from the book of Luke about praying for those who threaten you. That didn't make the WLEX news coverage. Corbin and KC just need to discontinue the series. I think they did that a few years in MIDDLE SCHOOL when things got too bad. Yep, the bad blood between these two even goes down to the middle school level.
January 28, 20188 yr I agree. Also just plain ignorant. What percentage of athletes engage in such trash talk I have no idea. I have asked a bunch of former athletes, both football and basketball , and they tell me it's quite common. How common I don't know, but I've been told "quite common." People I have talked to tell me that N-word or something similar is not a rare utterance that is heard. As I mentioned before, a KC football player yelled racial slurs at the Corbin team and fans. Saw it and heard it with my own eyes and ears. Same thing happened with social media posts leading up to the game. It has gone both ways. The video comment , while not good, is the least inflammatory remark that has come to light. The Corbin kid apparently received threats a week before the KC game. He responded with a verse from the book of Luke about praying for those who threaten you. That didn't make the WLEX news coverage. Corbin and KC just need to discontinue the series. I think they did that a few years in MIDDLE SCHOOL when things got too bad. Yep, the bad blood between these two even goes down to the middle school level. Alleged threats do not excuse racism. Prayers in one breath do not excuse racist comments in the next.
January 28, 20188 yr Author Alleged threats do not excuse racism. Prayers in one breath do not excuse racist comments in the next. I totally agree. But as I have stated numerous times on here, we all have prejudices that, in moments of weakness or high emotion in our lives, have produced something ugly out of our mouths. I've had probably eight or ten people tell me the last week that they sure as hell are glad social media wasn't around back when they were in high school. Not excusing a single such comment, but it has happened, I believe, to most, if not all, of us. Controversial or not, we are all "racist" to some degree. We learn prejudice from a very early age.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.