What traits really make an elite coach??

Tigers88

I read this on twitter- what else do you think?

Kirby Smart said what he learned most from Nick Saban: "Holding everybody's feet to the fire, holding everybody accountable, and that goes for every single meeting, every single drill, every single practice and every single day,"

According to Bear Bryant, coaching is "the ability to get players to do what they don't want to do in order to achieve what they want to achieve."

Exactly. But a lot of times if you have a coach like that, (more than likely) he'll rub parents the wrong way. Then they (for better or worse) get involved in the process.

Even if they have the best intentions they'll will ruin it.

If (when I played) I came home and said the coach yelled at me, my father would have asked me what I did to get yelled at. Now, the parents take to social media to trash the coach, then call the powers that be, call other parents, maybe call the coach etc; just to find out that their son isn't doing what he's supposed to. I've seen it several times on the middle school level and at least twice on the high school level.

Elite coaches in College vs high school are apples and oranges, in some situations. Yes, execution, buy in, etc. But the main difference is that an Elite HS coach has to be in it for the players, first and foremost. They are not getting paid like college coaches. So if a HS coach is in it for the pay check or his record, he is obviously looking for the next gig. If a HS coach is kid first, then buy in and all the others eventually may fall into place. Just my opinion.