Officiating question-backboard

Uk66

In Kentucky High School Basketball can a player slap the backboard during a shot attempt or after? It previously was a techinical foul.

An attempted block will almost never receive a T. Slapping the backboard opposite the shot attempt will getcha one though.

From a logical standpoint, it seems like a great way to scramble some bones in your hand. I wouldn’t know, I can barely grab the net on a good day.

In Kentucky High School Basketball can a player slap the backboard during a shot attempt or after? It previously was a techinical foul.

Not only can they do it in KY, but also in any other state in this great country we live in. That is, as long as it's an "attempted" block. That's up to the discretion of the official(s).

What if it really is an attempted block but they also slap the backboard so hard it indeed causes the shot to roll off the rim from the movement the slap caused? Is that goaltending?

If it impacts the ball or the shot but was not a blocked shot it is a goal tend

What if it really is an attempted block but they also slap the backboard so hard it indeed causes the shot to roll off the rim from the movement the slap caused? Is that goaltending?

CONTACTING THE BACKBOARD

10.3.4 SITUATION: A1 tries for a goal, and (a) B1 jumps and attempts to block

the shot but instead slaps or strikes the backboard and the ball goes into the basket; or (b) B1

vibrates the ring as a result of pulling on the net and the ball does

not enter the basket. RULING: In (a) legal and the basket counts; and (b) a technical

foul is charged to B1 and there is no basket. COMMENT: The purpose of the

rule is to penalize intentional contact with the backboard while a shot or try is

involved or placing a hand on the backboard to gain an advantage. A player who

strikes either backboard so forcefully it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt

to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration may be assessed

a technical foul pursuant to Rule 10-3-6..

That ruling includes grabbing the rim or net as well. Generally speaking (from what I have gathered from the rule book and officials), if you're attempting to block a shot, it's legal. However, if it affects the ball while on the rim or coming off of the backboard, then it is a goal tend. The technical call should be a rarity, only if it deemed to be excessive, which is subjective.

That ruling includes grabbing the rim or net as well. Generally speaking (from what I have gathered from the rule book and officials), if you're attempting to block a shot, it's legal. However, if it affects the ball while on the rim or coming off of the backboard, then it is a goal tend. The technical call should be a rarity, only if it deemed to be excessive, which is subjective.

If it’s a legitimate block attempt it is not basket interference.

slapping or vibrating the backboard is never basket interference. It can be a technical foul as outlined above but never basket interference. The goal is never counted as a result of slapping the backboard.

A shot attempt is made, a defender tries to block it but misses, slaps the backboard and causes the backboard to visibly move while the ball is on the rim; this is not goal tending but is a technical?

This is neither basket interference nor technical.

The rule book always talks about not being a foul unless a player gains an advantage. It would seem like this is gaining an advantage. Not disagreeing with you because there is nothing in the book saying otherwise but I also know that I have seen this called basket interference.