Terrible Baseball Rules

ManOfTroy

People always make fun of golf for having stupid rules (and they do), however, the Yankees and Astros games just demonstrated a few absurdities.

Judge is on 1st with 1 out. He is stealing while a fly ball is sent into right field. He is doubled off first. That gets appealed and he is safe. However, he touched second and did not re-touch the base while going back to first, so he was going to be out. The Astros are going to appeal but you can't until do that yet, (absurdity #1) you have to wait until the ball is "back in play". So the pitcher steps back on the rubber, the batter has to step into the box, and the HP ump points. Now, Judge (back on 1st) takes off for 2nd and it is a bang-bang play (absurdity #2, why not just point to 2nd and ask for an appeal?). The SS takes the throw to appeal but with Judge stealing, he tags him. Had he beaten the throw (absurdity #3) he would have been safe. I've never seen this in my life--the appeal and re-touching rule, yes, but not trying to steal 2nd before the appeal. Odd play.

People always make fun of golf for having stupid rules (and they do), however, the Yankees and Astros games just demonstrated a few absurdities.

Judge is on 1st with 1 out. He is stealing while a fly ball is sent into right field. He is doubled off first. That gets appealed and he is safe. However, he touched second and did not re-touch the base while going back to first, so he was going to be out. The Astros are going to appeal but you can't until do that yet, (absurdity #1) you have to wait until the ball is "back in play". So the pitcher steps back on the rubber, the batter has to step into the box, and the HP ump points. Now, Judge (back on 1st) takes off for 2nd and it is a bang-bang play (absurdity #2, why not just point to 2nd and ask for an appeal?). The SS takes the throw to appeal but with Judge stealing, he tags him. Had he beaten the throw (absurdity #3) he would have been safe. I've never seen this in my life--the appeal and re-touching rule, yes, but not trying to steal 2nd before the appeal. Odd play.

Sometimes a team will try to do anything to throw off a P if they know a valid appeal is coming when the ball is put back into play. Bluff stealing is the usual. I think if the P even fakes a throw to drive the bluff back to the base, he has now lost the opportunity to appeal bc that must be the 1st play made once the ball is put back into play for the appeal to be valid. I think a fake throw counts as a play which voids the appeal. Certainly if he threw to the base to drive him back, that would be a play.

Sometimes a team will try to do anything to throw off a P if they know a valid appeal is coming when the ball is put back into play. Bluff stealing is the usual. I think if the P even fakes a throw to drive the bluff back to the base, he has now lost the opportunity to appeal bc that must be the 1st play made once the ball is put back into play for the appeal to be valid. I think a fake throw counts as a play which voids the appeal. Certainly if he threw to the base to drive him back, that would be a play.

Yeah, I never thought about that. That is crazy.

So is the reverse true? If a player tags up at 2nd and leaves early, can he go back to 3rd before the appeal takes place and be safe?

You play April-August with a 25 man roster everyday, then come September 1 you can have up to 40 man roster everyday. Then the playoffs come along and we are back to a 25 man roster. I think I remember seeing a game this year where the Reds had 20 pitchers they could use that night. Totally idiotic and takes the strategy out of the game. If they want to do this, fine, but make the team set a 25 man roster prior to each game.

The base line is where a runner takes his lead and then a direct line to the base. 12 years ago I saw Grant Co against Simon Kenton. Runners on 1st and 3rd for GC. The runner or first walks out toward the right fielder and is standing in the grass. The pitcher has no idea what to do and throws the the first basemen who then starts running towards the runner who is not moving in the grass. The 3rd base runner walks home. Completely legal and stupid. SK went on to win 12-1.

The base line is where a runner takes his lead and then a direct line to the base. 12 years ago I saw Grant Co against Simon Kenton. Runners on 1st and 3rd for GC. The runner or first walks out toward the right fielder and is standing in the grass. The pitcher has no idea what to do and throws the the first basemen who then starts running towards the runner who is not moving in the grass. The 3rd base runner walks home. Completely legal and stupid. SK went on to win 12-1.

I have heard of a coach doing that. I have no idea how that's legal.