Do any schools in Kentucky have more than 3 football teams?

Cov Cath freshman played against the Cincinnati St. Xavier freshman B-team last night. Made me start thinking about it. That's got to take a LOT of bodies to field an entire second freshman team!

Cincinnati Moeller has competed with Freshman, Sophomore JV, Junior JV, and Varsity teams for at least 20 years now.

Are there any programs in Kentucky that do anything like this...or who ever have done anything like it?

When my sons were playing Catholic school football in suburban Chicago, the schools would have 100 freshmen playing football, necessitating an A and B team. There was also a sophomore team and a varsity consisting of juniors and seniors.

The system had a way of letting the cream rise to the top and those not getting playing time usually found something else to do. The sophomore team would be whittled down to 50 or 60 from the 100. The varsity would have about 60-70, made up of about equal numbers of juniors and seniors. So, from 100 freshmen to about 30-35 seniors.

I always enjoyed the doubleheaders.....sophomore game at 5 and varsity at 7. Freshman played on Saturday morning at the opposite site of the Sophomore/Varsity game (if the varsity was home, the freshmen were away the next morning against the same opponent).

That was 2005-2011. The numbers are down now, like everywhere else.

Trinity, as well as Saint Xavier should have A teams and B teams they have more than enough to do so. They would get more young men involved rather than have them watch the game from the bench. No wonder so many young men quit football between the frosh and JV level. Who knows, they might end up finding a hidden gem

or two.

Cov Cath freshman played against the Cincinnati St. Xavier freshman B-team last night. Made me start thinking about it. That's got to take a LOT of bodies to field an entire second freshman team!

Cincinnati Moeller has competed with Freshman, Sophomore JV, Junior JV, and Varsity teams for at least 20 years now.

Are there any programs in Kentucky that do anything like this...or who ever have done anything like it?

WOW. Thats crazy, I have watched a lot of GCL games over the years. I never knew Moeller had that many kids, thats wild.

While we are on the this topic, someone was kind enough to contact me and tell me that Cincinnati St. Xavier doesn't like calling it a "B" Team but instead calls it their Blue/White team. Now which team is the Blue and which team is the White we don't know.

We like to roll with schools as much as possible but that is too ambiguous for us Kentucky Boys and to quote Ricky Bobby:

Elder and Moeller both have two teams so each St. X team plays one of the Moeller and Elder teams.

The "other" St. X Frosh team is playing LaSalle, Colerain, Indy Cathedral, Winton Woods, Lebanon and Anderson.

The White team is playing CovCath, Kings, Edgewood, and East Central.

Elder and Moeller both have two teams so each St. X team plays one of the Moeller and Elder teams.

The "other" St. X Frosh team is playing LaSalle, Colerain, Indy Cathedral, Winton Woods, Lebanon and Anderson.

The White team is playing CovCath, Kings, Edgewood, and East Central.

Thanks for all that great info @frankdracman23

While we are on the this topic, someone was kind enough to contact me and tell me that Cincinnati St. Xavier doesn't like calling it a "B" Team but instead calls it their Blue/White team. Now which team is the Blue and which team is the White we don't know.

We like to roll with schools as much as possible but that is too ambiguous for us Kentucky Boys and to quote Ricky Bobby:

CovCath played the White team.

Regardless of which team they played, I thought the CovCath qb and rb looked very good. The defense was around the ball all night. As a cranky old guy, I thought they could be more physical, but that is today's football. I thought the new coaches had the team prepared and impressively, for the high school frosh level, made adjustments to the game plan as the game played out. Happy to see Coach Eviston out supporting the team.

Moeller 2015-2016 Enrollment: 940 (All boys)

Cincinnati St. Xavier 2015-2016 Enrollment: 1,603 (All boys)

Went with my father in law to a playoff game between Cincy X and Colerain at Paul Brown back in 2006 or so. Guys in front of me quipped "I remember when X was a highschool not a small college". That's a ton of young men

CovCath played the White team.

Regardless of which team they played, I thought the CovCath qb and rb looked very good. The defense was around the ball all night. As a cranky old guy, I thought they could be more physical, but that is today's football. I thought the new coaches had the team prepared and impressively, for the high school frosh level, made adjustments to the game plan as the game played out. Happy to see Coach Eviston out supporting the team.

I got that a few posts ago.

Also, whether it was the White Team Blue Team A Team B Team I am sure there were still some studs on the team for X.

Big time schools, and X is a big time school, develop a couple of QBs in each class and two Frosh teams is the perfect recipe for that type of program development at the QB position.

While I am on this topic, one thing I consistently notice about Kentucky High School Football is we don't develop enough QB depth.

The bottom line is, if you don't have a couple of good QBs in your Frosh class each year you better be taking two of your best athletes in that class and converting them to QB. Because if you don't, you are going to start many seasons switching QBs early in the year and it puts your team weeks (but probably months) behind the competition.