Football Playoff Pairings: Name That Year

That Belfry vs. Bell County game was a fond memory from my childhood if I recall correctly

Belfry went to Log Mountain and took that W in a game that was 0-0 until very late.

They would lose to Tim Couch in a game that Belfry would have the lead until Couch broke the National Passing record. After a lengthy delay Couch would rally his troops and grab all the momentum and take Belfry down.

Also from the '95 playoffs...

3Ia89hi.jpg

That Garrard win over Bardstown was very cathartic. They had knocked GC out of the playoffs the previous two seasons in nail-biters. Sadly, Harrodsburg would be Garrard in the regional final the next week.

That Belfry vs. Bell County game was a fond memory from my childhood if I recall correctly

Belfry went to Log Mountain and took that W in a game that was 0-0 until very late.

They would lose to Tim Couch in a game that Belfry would have the lead until Couch broke the National Passing record. After a lengthy delay Couch would rally his troops and grab all the momentum and take Belfry down.

Two great games.

Belfry jumped out to a 20-0 lead on Leslie County in that game. Couch broke that national record and the game was stopped to acknowledge it. Belfry's entire staff walked across the field to shake his hand and congratulate him, which really was a show of good sportsmanship. The Eagles came back and defeated the Pirates eventually. That was an electric atmosphere. ESPN was there, the crowd was huge and rowdy. Great high school game in the mountains.

Here is a 3 minute video about Couch's senior season and there is some footage of that game and of Belfry's coaches paying him the respect. I think they were just happy he was graduating, LOL.

Was it that game or the regular season game that Couch played with broken ribs?

Richie Blackburn was a 300+ pound DL and he drilled Couch.... Couch stayed in the game and played through injury.

Was it that game or the regular season game that Couch played with broken ribs?

Richie Blackburn was a 300+ pound DL and he drilled Couch.... Couch stayed in the game and played through injury.

I think it was the regular season game, but not for certain. I'm old.

I pegged '95 by Bowling Green's unbeaten record couple with Greenwood in the playoffs in AAA and Warren Central not in. Central missed the playoffs twice between 1985 and 2015. When they missed in 1998, Greenwood was in AAAA and didn't make the playoffs.

Isn't 95 the yr Hopkinsville beat Leslie county like a drum?

At the start of the season if I recall

I think Highlands spanked them in the Semi's

What year was it that Hopkinsville got in trouble for an illegal player? Was that 95 also?