Is Vulgar Music Appropriate at 11- Year Old Little League Baseball Games ???

I recently attended the 11 y.o. State Championship baseball tournament @ Corbin this week. I really enjoy LL baseball. It always takes me back to the days when I played. The games this week were played on the very field that I played on over forty years ago. As I was watching the Final Four games this week I was reminded of my very last LL game in which I was the starting and winning pitcher. I loved that time in my life.

I was impressed with the kids' passion for the game, their competitive spirit, and their sportsmanship. Even the parents behaved fairly well, which is not always the case. Corbin did a good job hosting the games and everyone seemed to have a good time.

The one thing that bothered me is something about which I want to get your opinion. I'm sure you are aware that music is now played at LL games- before the game, in between innings, in-between games, etc... Back when I played, there was no music( well, I mean there was music, it just wasn't played during our games).

My issue this week was not that music was played. Actually, I think music adds to the atmosphere. My problem was with the TYPE of music played. Granted, some of the music was okay. However, some of it was FAR from okay, imo. Lots of rap/ hip-hop with vulgar, aggressive , and violent lyrics were heard. I heard the phrase "suck and swallow," and the rest I can't even mention on this website. In my view this is wholly inappropriate at LL baseball games. Heck , it would be inappropriate at Major League games.

Now, I know some are going to say I'm just an old fuddy duddy and times have changed since I was a kid. If that's what you think, you are probably right. It has been a long time since I was a kid playing LL baseball and times have changed. However, I think when it comes to 11 year-old children, vulgar words were inappropriate in 1973 and they are inappropriate in 2017.

Ever who was in charged of selecting the playlist should be assigned different duties from now on. I really don't know what the thinking was, other than it was just bad thinking. There's a plethora of baseball-themed songs that would be great at LL games- "Centerfield, "Glory Days," etc... I just don't think we need to hear anything from Slim Shady or We Dem Boy Boyz.

Am I wrong??? What do you think? Is this kind of music okay for LL ???

Thanks in advance for your input.

Edited by Jumper_Dad
R8

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I have to take up a bit for my hometown. This was probably an oversight by one or two people. Explain how it reflects the town's standards. My guess is that this is commonplace all over the state and country. Kids and their young parents seem to love this kind of music. Myself, I don't like it and I don't think it is appropriate.

It's Corbin. They have their own standards.

How so? I think a lot of folks have some misconceptions about the town and its people. The townsfolk usually answer the kind of comments like the one you made with , "They're just jealous." Do you really think London is that different from Corbin?

How so? I think a lot of folks have some misconceptions about the town and its people. The townsfolk usually answer the kind of comments like the one you made with , "They're just jealous." Do you really think London is that different from Corbin?

Not much different now. During my first tour of duty on that little stretch of the I-75 cooridor, about 30 years ago, there was a HUGE difference in the two.

Now when I think of those two cities it's deciding between Weavers or the Root Beer stand!