Trump still angry at Sessions recusal

Trump would have to fire Sessions and/or Rosenstein and Rachel Brand and whoever else along the chain of command to fire Mueller. I don't think he can get a replacement AG through confirmation under these circumstances.

I think it would be an absolutely extraordinary thing for him to do and would drench him in the stench of obvious guilt.

I wouldn't hold my breath, but it might even goad Republicans into reinstating the law creating special prosecutors then simply reappointing Mueller.

This is only broad speculation that he would do something that crazy, and maybe that's unfair to the president, but I was gobsmacked when he fired Comey. This investigation must be completed, and if the president has done nothing wrong he should be the first to welcome it.

What specifically was Mueller tasked by the Justice Dept. to investigate? Or is this just a colossal fishing expedition of every business deal ever completed by Trump & Company?

"(i) any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald J. Trump; and

(ii) any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and

(iii) any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. 600.4(a) [that covers perjury, obstruction of justice, etc.]"

Trump would have to fire Sessions and/or Rosenstein and Rachel Brand and whoever else along the chain of command to fire Mueller. I don't think he can get a replacement AG through confirmation under these circumstances.

I think it would be an absolutely extraordinary thing for him to do and would drench him in the stench of obvious guilt.

I wouldn't hold my breath, but it might even goad Republicans into reinstating the law creating special prosecutors then simply reappointing Mueller.

This is only broad speculation that he would do something that crazy, and maybe that's unfair to the president, but I was gobsmacked when he fired Comey. This investigation must be completed, and if the president has done nothing wrong he should be the first to welcome it.

Definitely not holding my breath on that one. That won't happen.

"(i) any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald J. Trump; and

(ii) any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation; and

(iii) any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R. 600.4(a) [that covers perjury, obstruction of justice, etc.]"

Appears to give Mueller the option of looking into Pandora's Box if he so chooses. That seemingly allows Mueller's team some pretty broad investigative authority and those involved the campaign, including the President, seem to add more nooks and corners by the day for Mueller to snoop around.

Just another Post hit piece... At least they included the fact that it was unproven as yet..

“Obviously I cannot comment on the reliability of what anonymous sources describe in a wholly uncorroborated intelligence intercept that the Washington Post has not seen and that has not been provided to me,” said Sarah Isgur Flores, a Justice Department spokeswoman in a statement. She reiterated that Sessions did not discuss interference in the election.

Russian and other foreign diplomats in Washington and elsewhere have been known, at times, to report false or misleading information to bolster their standing with their superiors or to confuse U.S. intelligence agencies.

Just another Post hit piece... At least they included the fact that it was unproven as yet..

Lots of theories that Trump and his people are the leakers in this instance - despite his tweets complaining about leaks, of course, without denying the leaks are accurate.

Apropos of nothing public, the president took to Twitter yesterday to criticize his "beleaguered" Attorney-General. I'm not sure what this accomplishes other than to force Sessions into resignation or lay the groundwork for firing him. (Sessions, you'll remember, was the only Senator to endorse Trump in the primary and obviously gave up his seat to serve as AG.)

If he does rid himself of Sessions that will mark his most desperate attempt yet at stopping the investigation. And considering the timing he might be angling to appoint Sessions replacement during the upcoming Senate recess, which would be particularly drastic.

Apropos of nothing public, the president took to Twitter yesterday to criticize his "beleaguered" Attorney-General. I'm not sure what this accomplishes other than to force Sessions into resignation or lay the groundwork for firing him. (Sessions, you'll remember, was the only Senator to endorse Trump in the primary and obviously gave up his seat to serve as AG.)

If he does rid himself of Sessions that will mark his most desperate attempt yet at stopping the investigation. And considering the timing he might be angling to appoint Sessions replacement during the upcoming Senate recess, which would be particularly drastic.

He hasn't exactly let up this morning either.