KHSAA: Facemasks Required For the 2018 Season

RCC9

Looks like facemasks will be required for any player occupying 1st base, 3rd base or pitcher for all levels effective immediately in the 2018 season.

"At its July 15 meeting, the Board of Control approved a recommendation from the Commissioner and staff to mandate the use of face protection in softball for pitchers, first basemen and third basemen. The new requirement will go into effect at all levels of play for KHSAA member schools with the upcoming 2018 season. No specific brand was selected or endorsed, but all schools are reminded that all face protection equipment must be worn as intended by the manufacturer. It will also be recommended for immediate implementation to the Middle School Advisory Committee when that body meets during the 2017-2018 school year."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those are the ONLY positions that should be required.

DLG played all 3 positions and never wore one.....she'd have a fit if she would have been required to wear one. 2.0 wore one when she played 3rd. 3.0 wears one when playing one of the corners.

I always find it strange seeing outfielders wearing one (very rarely on the varsity level). If you need one in the outfield, maybe softball isn't a sport for you. LOL

There should have never been an infielder allowed to play without a mask anyways

Most of an at bat 3rd base and 1st base usually play "up" for bunt covarage, and the pitcher is obviously always going to be close to the batter.......the middle infielders are always a good distance from the batter with time to react, no need for them to be required to wear one.

Soon the infield will look like a Lacrosse team.

Most of an at bat 3rd base and 1st base usually play "up" for bunt covarage, and the pitcher is obviously always going to be close to the batter.......the middle infielders are always a good distance from the batter with time to react, no need for them to be required to wear one.

Soon the infield will look like a Lacrosse team.

I saw a SS get hit in the throat by a bad bounce just last weekend. She was there in plenty of time sometimes they can't account for a bad bounce. It was an unfortunate scene.

Would the mask stop the bad bounce to the throat?

Or do they need the throat guard hanging on the front of the mask too?

Maybe a Kevlar and ceramic plated Dickie?

No but it would stop a bad bounce to the eye, teeth or nose.

I am not in favor of mandating masks for high school players. What's done is done, though.

As a pitcher, my daughter has been hit occasionally with no serious incidents, and has been on the field back in youth ball days when a pitcher on her team was hit in the mouth. It's scary thing for sure.

I have never been "anti-mask", in fact my daughter wore a mask for a few years off and on, and then once she got to about 14U and HS level, I let her choose. We discussed it, she accepted the risk, and chose not to wear one going forward.

She'll be a college senior this coming season, playing D1 with nearly 600 innings in the circle, so far....do I cringe when one is hit up the middle? Absolutely, but it is her choice, and I respect that.

To that end, I believe in personal freedom, and assuming risk and responsibility for one's own actions in ALL things. Those aren't very popular positions any longer it seems, though....not just in HS sports.