Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

KHSAA: Facemasks Required For the 2018 Season

Featured Replies

I am not in favor of mandating masks for high school players. What's done is done, though.

As a pitcher, my daughter has been hit occasionally with no serious incidents, and has been on the field back in youth ball days when a pitcher on her team was hit in the mouth. It's scary thing for sure.

I have never been "anti-mask", in fact my daughter wore a mask for a few years off and on, and then once she got to about 14U and HS level, I let her choose. We discussed it, she accepted the risk, and chose not to wear one going forward.

She'll be a college senior this coming season, playing D1 with nearly 600 innings in the circle, so far....do I cringe when one is hit up the middle? Absolutely, but it is her choice, and I respect that.

To that end, I believe in personal freedom, and assuming risk and responsibility for one's own actions in ALL things. Those aren't very popular positions any longer it seems, though....not just in HS sports.

 

Once upon a time baseball players didn't wear helmets when they batted.

  • Replies 55
  • Views 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst that I've seen was a 3rd baseman take a line drive to the forehead. It's not that she was bad or couldn't field her position, she was far and away the best player on the team. Ball came off the bat with no spin and was dancing around like a knuckle ball and at the last second went right over the top of her glove.

 

Coach mandated all infielders from then on would wear them.

 

Biggest reason most girls don't wear them is softball has in many cases turned into a glamor sport. Girls spend hours getting hair and makeup right for college games on TV and most don't want to look funny wearing a mask. High school and younger players see that and they want to do the same. They aren't bypassing the mask because they are risk takers, most ( but not all ) not wear one because they don't like the way it "Looks"

 

Mandating mask takes that out of the players, coaches and parents hands and forces them to wear safety equipment, in this case I think it's the right thing to do.

I'm really kind of surprised at all the people who are against their daughters wearing masks. No disrespect to anyone but it's surprising.

 

My son nearly lost his eye taking a line drive to his face while pitching 16U. He needed 3 reconstructive surgeries, plates and screws to repair the damage. My daughter saw it happen. Never had another fight with her again about wearing her mask when pitching or playing infield.

My daughter didn't wear a mask for years. She took a line drive off the hand. I ask her why she didn't use her glove to field it, she said she had no choice it was on her before she could get her other hand up. The worst come back she caught off her shin. I thought it was broken at first but she finished her game. After that game we had a long discussion about a mask as a protective measure. She was against it because, she told me her friends in college told her it was frowned upon. She eventually went to a mask and finished her playing days with it. It became a part of her uniform and equipment. I'm glad the KHSAA has taken it out of the players, parents, and coaches hands. For younger players I think it helps build confidence in the field. I don't think everyone but the corners and pitchers need them. BUT... if a SS or 2nd base wants them I'm all for what makes them happy. Again to the KHSAA, good job I think you got one right this time.

My daughter pitches and we have mandated she wear it from day one. If you can protect a part of the body and it doesn't hinder performance then why not use it. To me it makes no sense not to wear it.

 

Well Coach JimBob from ToughGuy College doesn't look kindly on pitchers who wear masks....well then I guess my daughter can scratch ToughGuy College off her list.

ESPN sports science did a video about the differences between baseball and softball. But I think it illustrates fairly well how fast the game is, or can be.

 

 

One thing they didn't talk about is the size of the ball.

From an aerodynamics standpoint, which would be worse, a knuckle ball off the bat with a softball or baseball? I would think the larger surface area with more stitches would be more erratic.

Similar question with spin. I would expect that the larger surface area would create greater variances in air resistance on the sides, causing more dramatic curve. But then again, with the shorter distance, there may not be enough time for this to cause much.

 

I think the rule should apply to base coaches as well. @RCC9 and @Lawnboy13 aren't spring chickens any more.

Plus we already know @RCC9 needs to wear a helmet when hitting infield!

There should have never been an infielder allowed to play without a mask anyways

 

Base runners have to wear them, why not infielders?

Once upon a time baseball players didn't wear helmets when they batted.

 

and football players wore leather helmets...

I agree with the KHSAA decision on this. I think it needs to be implemented from the time a kid starts playing ball. If they get comfortable with it early, then it just becomes another piece of the uniform.

Technology overall has improved so much that it has become dangerous in some cases of misplayed balls. It has and will always be an inherent danger of the sport, but why would we not use technology to protect from serious injury as well?

 

I have had two players, both excellent defenders, take balls to the face - one broke an orbital socket and one had several teeth knocked out. Less we forget how important vanity still is to teenage girls.

 

Check out this video:

 

 

I was at this game in Tampa sitting right behind first base dugout when it happened - it sounded like someone dropped a watermelon off the 10th floor of the hotel into the parking lot. Gruesome and very similar to the Aroldis Chapman comebacker a few years ago.

 

Accidents and injuries will continue to happen and be part of the game. And its the right of each player and/or parent to decide whether or not to wear a facemask. But if you are not wearing one because of what a college coach or others may think, then you need to re-evaluate your decision making process. I am glad the UK pitcher who started to where a facemask several years ago broke the macho mold of thinking and brought this issue to the forefront.

 

Science and technology are available and can make the game safer. We have vaccinations available to protect our daughters (and sons) - polio, TB, HPV, etc. As parents, why would we ever choose to take on inherent risks that can be prevented?

But again, to each their own.

Those are the ONLY positions that should be required.

 

DLG played all 3 positions and never wore one.....she'd have a fit if she would have been required to wear one. 2.0 wore one when she played 3rd. 3.0 wears one when playing one of the corners.

 

I always find it strange seeing outfielders wearing one (very rarely on the varsity level). If you need one in the outfield, maybe softball isn't a sport for you. LOL

 

 

If it were me, my daughter would not have a choice, seen too many facial injuries in both softball and baseball. If I remember didn't NCC have a girl get hit with a line drive a few years back and really never returned to pitching and then actually stopped playing because of the incident? Also, with the conditions of some fields and the bad hops a ball can take is another reason this mandate is a good idea.

 

Personally I am glad the KHSAA stepped up and make this a requirement!! They need to be commended on this. Safety of players should always be a priority!!!

Now let's work on getting the state championship games moved to a real softball facility!

My 13-year old daughter plays outfield and I have no problem with her wearing a mask. She has a beautiful face and I don't want to see it bruised and bloodied by a softball.

No but it would stop a bad bounce to the eye, teeth or nose.

 

Just charge the ball and get in between bounces. ;)

 

 

 

 

J/K

Now let's work on getting the state championship games moved to a real softball facility!

 

Wrestling coaches say wait your turn in line, lol.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.