Acronyms Within Posts

B-Ball-fan

My mind is not a dictionary full of acronyms, and while occasionally I can read one and instantly know what it means, quite often while reading posts where acronyms are included within the text, I'll have to google them in order to fully comprehend what is being conveyed within someone's comments.

I'm thankful to have access at my fingertips to quickly reference them, yet I wonder am I the only one who finds themselves frequently doing this, or is everyone on top of every acronym out there, and I'm just terribly late? :idunno:

Sure, once I find out their meaning it'll make perfect sense, (unless the acronym means numerous other things, and if it does it's a matter of figuring through the context of the comment to guess which one is proper), yet this doesn't mean that by next week I'll even remember it if I happened upon it again. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.

When people use them do they assume that everyone knows, or do they sometimes use them to act like they're "so in the know", and it makes them feel superior knowing that others probably won't?

I get it that some are more common than others, but sometimes I'm like "Now how was I supposed to know that one"?

I'll freely admit that I frequently have to look them up, am I the only one?

It took me years to figure out what DIY meant. It was one of those acronyms that slipped in without my notice (I'm not a home-improvement skilled guy), and by the time I did notice it, it was acceptable that everyone knew what it meant.

It does help that I am good at contextualizing when figuring out mysterious acronyms.

It took me years to figure out what DIY meant. It was one of those acronyms that slipped in without my notice (I'm not a home-improvement skilled guy), and by the time I did notice it, it was acceptable that everyone knew what it meant.

It does help that I am good at contextualizing when figuring out mysterious acronyms.

A game we used to play on long drives when I was a kid was making phrases using the letters on license plates. Give me three letters and I can come up with something within a second or two.