Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Acronyms Within Posts

Featured Replies

My mind is not a dictionary full of acronyms, and while occasionally I can read one and instantly know what it means, quite often while reading posts where acronyms are included within the text, I'll have to google them in order to fully comprehend what is being conveyed within someone's comments.

 

I'm thankful to have access at my fingertips to quickly reference them, yet I wonder am I the only one who finds themselves frequently doing this, or is everyone on top of every acronym out there, and I'm just terribly late? :idunno:

 

Sure, once I find out their meaning it'll make perfect sense, (unless the acronym means numerous other things, and if it does it's a matter of figuring through the context of the comment to guess which one is proper), yet this doesn't mean that by next week I'll even remember it if I happened upon it again. Maybe I will, maybe I won't.

 

When people use them do they assume that everyone knows, or do they sometimes use them to act like they're "so in the know", and it makes them feel superior knowing that others probably won't?

 

I get it that some are more common than others, but sometimes I'm like "Now how was I supposed to know that one"?

 

I'll freely admit that I frequently have to look them up, am I the only one?

I'll freely admit that I frequently have to look them up, am I the only one?

 

IDK.

  • Author

What actually prompted me to once and for all ask this question was because in a recent post someone used FCA, which I had absolutely no clue what it meant.

 

With a quick search I'm assuming that it means "Fellowship of Christian Athletes"...yet FCA could also stand for...

 

FCA - What does FCA stand for? The Free Dictionary

Here's one I didn't know until fairly recently.

 

RP>GS

  • Author
IDK.

 

-Individual Decontamination Kit ?

-Integration Development Kit?

-Interface Development Kit?

-Internal Derangement of the Knee?

-Ident-a-Kid?

-I Don't Know?

-I Don't Kare?

-In Da Kitchen?

 

:idunno:

  • Author
Here's one I didn't know until fairly recently.

 

RP>GS

 

Even with trying to look this up I haven't a clue. :idunno:

Here's one I didn't know until fairly recently.

 

RP>GS

 

Surprised you didn't know Randy Parker is greater than Getslow in one person's mind any way.

  • Author
Here's one I didn't know until fairly recently.

 

RP>GS

 

A quick search tells me that "RP" could stand for "Role Play" and "GS" could mean either "Golden Shower", "Game Started", or "General Schedule".

A quick search tells me that "RP" could stand for "Role Play" and "GS" could mean either "Golden Shower", "Game Started", or "General Schedule".

 

 

Lots of BGPers used as acronyms. As post 8 indicates.

Use UD to look up the definitions.

It took me years to figure out what DIY meant. It was one of those acronyms that slipped in without my notice (I'm not a home-improvement skilled guy), and by the time I did notice it, it was acceptable that everyone knew what it meant.

 

It does help that I am good at contextualizing when figuring out mysterious acronyms.

  • Author

Believe it or not even LGBTQ and its accepted understood order had me confused for way longer than maybe it should have. I had forever jumbled that mess of letters when trying to say it. :lol2:

It took me years to figure out what DIY meant. It was one of those acronyms that slipped in without my notice (I'm not a home-improvement skilled guy), and by the time I did notice it, it was acceptable that everyone knew what it meant.

 

It does help that I am good at contextualizing when figuring out mysterious acronyms.

 

A game we used to play on long drives when I was a kid was making phrases using the letters on license plates. Give me three letters and I can come up with something within a second or two.

A game we used to play on long drives when I was a kid was making phrases using the letters on license plates. Give me three letters and I can come up with something within a second or two.

 

QZB

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.