Bearcat Classic

NKY Squad strong showing. Miles gets better (and longer) it seems like everytime I see him. Royals/NKY Squad game was a great game, Squad prevails by 1 in overtime when Miles makes 2 free throws with 7 seconds to go. Royals are big, deep and loaded, but everytime they made a run and opened up a lead Fleek and Garrett Jones made key plays. Royals' Alec Pfriem is the real deal, game was really entertaining. Kind of a shame their pools had them meeting in the first round of bracket play, though.

This was a great tournament! In the 10th grade, there were 39 teams:

NKY teams and players:

Royals White (Houston – Holy Cross, Deere - CCH, Walter – Cooper, Allen – Pendleton, Ohmer – Scott, Phreim – Roger Bacon, Jolly – Campbell, Lawrence – Campbell, Pappas - Badin …)

Royals Blue – (Knochelman – Holy Cross, Macke – Holy Cross, Shumate – Dixie, Deathridge – Beechwood, King – Highlands …)

NKY Squad (Miles – WV, Jones – WV, Grubbs - WV, Pardee – WV, Fleek – CCH, Krohman – SK …)

KY Force (Rankin – Ryle, Bruner …)

Other notables from KY: Vision from Southern KY, Charlotte Court (Lex), Western KY Elite, KVO Ballers …

Others from around the region: Ohio Unity (Cincy), 2 Shining Stars, 2 Indiana Red teams, Cincy Lakers, Cincy Rise, Columbus 101, Erie Ice, Ohio Bulldogs, Rail City Attack, Dayton Metro, 2 Cleveland SMAC teams, Mid Ohio Pumas, Cincy Royals, All OH Wolves, OH Premier …

Fleek too much for the Ky Royals!

I didn't like both teams playing Zone most of the game - especially in AAU and with so much talent!!! I know Macke likes to play zone. And I imagine Grubbs played Zone to offset depth. Or maybe it was because they both hoped to be playing 3 more games that day to win the championship.

Fleek's (CCH) jumpers were the difference for the Squad. He must have had 20.

And Phreim (Roger Bacon) must have had over half of the Royals points.

In the final minutes they put Fleek on Phreim in a man to man which changed it up a little. Both are incredible ballers!

I would have to say that Miles rather than Fleek was the star of the Royals/Squad game. Plus the Squad overall team discipline at the end of the game.

De Miles will be a very special player to watch the next couple of years

Two Shining Star teams in the 17u and 15u division have Kentucky players.

15u the only Kentucky kid is Scotty Draud (Beechwood). He's an 8th grader playing up and has really impressed me offensively. He has an aggressive mindset and can shoot the ball when needed. Lots of upside potential and I fully expect him to play and possibly start varsity next season.

17u has Aiden Ruthsatz (Covcath) and Mekell Burries (Newport). Aiden has been playing really well, getting past guys with his quickness and shooting/finishing exceptionally. I wish he played with that confidence when he wears blue and white. Mekell has been really impressive , especially considering its his second year playing the game. He stuggles sometimes with shot selection and staying engaged defensively, but his potential is thru the roof (ceiling). He has an excellent handle on the ball and is shooting the ball well from deep. 17u beat Ohio Phenoms in the gold division.

Club Ohio (Johnson) has 3 northern Ky kids Caleb Bush (SK) Kevin Centers (Cooper) Mason Rusch (Calvery Christian)

Heck of a game between Nky finest and club Ohio. Would have loved to see Rusch make that game. Wish they could have figured something out in the bracket not to have a extra game for four teams. Club Ohio led by as much as 11 in the first half but couldn't close the deal to a great team and lost by 7 but we're only down by 3 with 30 seconds left