Spring Training Venues

4pointplay

Heading to Florida in March for a week with the Mrs. Will be hitting the Strawberry Festival in Tampa initially and playing some golf.

Have always wanted to check out some spring training venues and games. Any suggestions or recommendations for a day or two of baseball?

I've been to a couple spring training games, and they're fun. I think Boston & Minnesota used to share a facility in Fort Myers, but I'm pretty sure Boston built an entirely new complex fairly recently. Ft. Myers is probably too far from Tampa, though.

I'm pretty sure the Yankees are still in Tampa -- I've never been to that facility but I trust that it's nice.

Here is a link of the Grapefruit League ballparks:

Grapefruit League Spring Training

Orioles facility in Sarasota is very nice - used to be Reds facility, but it is way nicer now.

Phillies facility is in Clearwater and it is nothing special.

Blue Jays facility is in Dunedin and it is nice.

Pirates are in Bradenton, which is close, but I have never seen a game at their facility.

The Strawberry Festival is held in Plant City, about 20 miles east of Tampa. If you are staying out there you actually will be closer to Lakeland, than you will be to Tampa. Clearwater and Dunedin are both a good hour drive from Plant City in light traffic. Detroit trains in Lakeland. I've never been there, but look for Publix Field at Joker Merchant Stadium.

As opposed to @Oldbird, I prefer Bright House Field (or whatever they are going to call it, now that Bright House sold out to Spectrum) in Clearwater over Florida Auto Exchange Field in Dunedin. I like the way the concession stands in BHF are laid out. You can watch the game while you are waiting in line for beer and food. Then there is Frenchy's tiki bar in left field.

Steinbrenner Field in Tampa is nice. It's done up to look like Yankee Stadium.

The Strawberry Festival is held in Plant City, about 20 miles east of Tampa. If you are staying out there you actually will be closer to Lakeland, than you will be to Tampa. Clearwater and Dunedin are both a good hour drive from Plant City in light traffic. Detroit trains in Lakeland. I've never been there, but look for Publix Field at Joker Merchant Stadium.

As opposed to @Oldbird, I prefer Bright House Field (or whatever they are going to call it, now that Bright House sold out to Spectrum) in Clearwater over Florida Auto Exchange Field in Dunedin. I like the way the concession stands in BHF are laid out. You can watch the game while you are waiting in line for beer and food. Then there is Frenchy's tiki bar in left field.

Steinbrenner Field in Tampa is nice. It's done up to look like Yankee Stadium.

I will defer to you swamprat, given you have probably been to all of them many times over my single visit to each of them.

I will defer to you swamprat, given you have probably been to all of them many times over my single visit to each of them.

It's subjective, like music.

When was the last time you went to a game in Clearwater? BHF did not open until 2004. Before that, the Phillies trained at Jack Russell Stadium on Phillies Drive, closer to downtown. Bright House is at US-19 and Drew Street. You can't miss it driving southbound on US-19.

Jack Russell was what you described in your earlier post. OK, but nothing special. It still has bleacher seating in the upper sections and is used for high school and amateur games, now.