A Call to Cherish: Belfry Fans Last Chance To Witness Greatness

ATLCat

“We shall have no better conditions in the future if we are satisfied with all those which we have at present.”– Thomas Edison

The term "spoiled" is often over used and a bit harsh off the tongue. Connotations of the word bring forward temper tantrum prone toddlers and negative emotions associated with people who disregard value. As such, it is not fair to use the word "spoiled" when describing the Belfry fan base. The Pond Creek Nation remains one of the most devout fan bases in the State of Kentucky and often travel better than most any other school, their support does not waver. Yet, as Belfry prepares for their final home game of the 2016 season a growing sense of complacency is what I wish to address.

Complacency is different than being spoiled. Complacency comes from an increased sense of self-satisfaction, or contentment, and is often coupled with an unawareness of potential trouble. Simply put, complacency is the sweet spot where expectations of success meet the expectations for security.

It is hard to fault Belfry fans for succumbing to the comfort of raised expectations, the Pirates have seen their program transcend to elite status over the past 13 years and are currently on a run unrivaled by any Eastern Kentucky program before them. With that said, the "new normal" has caused a bit of comfort and expectation of success that has impacted the bleachers on Friday nights. When Belfry made their first State Title push Pond Creek, USA was the place of dreams for any purist of High School football. Every home game was Friday Night Lights and a capacity crowd. In 2004, Belfry hosted Prestonsburg and Russell in Round 3 and 4 and the crowds that gathered at Vipperman Stadium were the stuff of folk lore. People literally climbed trees on the steep hillside to catch a vantage point and Fire Marshall had to turn a Blind Eye to a capacity crowd that had to exceed the maximum limit those old concrete bleachers could contain. The 2004 Russell game was one of legend, Belfry secured a State Finals appearance in the last game at "Death Valley" and did so in a game featuring more star power in the backfield than the Stadium may have ever seen with 4 All-Timers for each historic program dueling for rushing supremacy.

Fast forward to the present and it is Russell again, on the precipice of the end of another legendary era in Belfry history, with two teams entering with sterling records. Instead of celebrating the last game Belfry fans were witnessing at their beloved stadium, they will be celebrating the last home game of a Belfry Senior class that have etched themselves in the record books and the permanent memory of red-clad Pirate fans ages 4 to 94.

Let's take a second to appreciate this class and establish the WHY of the significance of this game. I am a stats guy, so I will do what I know and break it down by numbers:

- This Senior Class has won 3 consecutive State Championships, 4 if you include their Middle School State Title as 8th Graders.

- This Senior Class has NEVER lost a competitive playoff game since they were in 8th Grade.

- This Senior Class has outscored their playoff foes 690-110 in the playoffs during their 4 years of High School.

- In their 3 State Championship appearance they are yet to allow an Offensive Touchdown in the State Finals

- Five of these Belfry Seniors were key contributors as Freshman to the State Championship victory

- Belfry has never had two Division 1 signees in the same class, this Senior Class is likely to produce four.

- This Senior Class has 8 players who have started for 3 or more years.

- This Senior Class alone had four players named to the All-State teams in 2015

- This Senior Class already has four players invited to participate in the "Best of the Bluegrass" All-Star game.

- Belfry's record over the past 4 seasons is 52-5, only 3 of those losses have came to KY competition

- Belfry has a 29 game Home Winning-Streak, this Senior Class is currently 33-1 at home for their career.

- Belfry currently has a 27 game winning streak against Kentucky competition, they are 45-3 against Kentucky Competition in their career.

- Belfry is 7-0 against teams that would go on to reach the State Finals that same season.

- Belfry has outscored their competition 2177-757 over the past four seasons, an average Final Score of 38-13.

- To this point the Belfry Senior Class will not have a losing record against a single opponent.

- Belfry is 26-5 over the past four seasons against ranked foes.

- RayQuan Horton will finish as Belfry's All-Time leader in Sacks and Tackles For Loss

- Cole Bentley is the first Pirate to earn "All-American" status with his invites to two post season All-American games

There is no denying that as Belfry fans have became comfortable with the success documented above, the vigor and attendance of home games have tapered off from the high point set in the early 2000's. The fact remains that on Friday when the Pirates host Russell, perhaps Belfry's most historical post-season nemesis, the fans of Pirates are guaranteed that this will be their last time seeing the greatest Senior Class in school history jog through "Tunnel Time" while 2001: A Space Odyssey rings over the speakers. The promise of another game is no longer guaranteed and the Pond Creek Nation needs to rise to the challenge of treating Friday as perhaps the last time they get to stand and cheer for a group of kids who have been the beacon of hope and promise in a community that has seen it's share of "down years" in the local economy since their run began in 2003.

So come Friday, bring your blanket, layer your red gear, stand, and cheer for greatness. Empty the hills and hollows of the Belfry community and make this a night of celebration and respecting history. Even if Belfry goes on to play two more times, Friday is the night that is intimately yours to simply say "Thank You" and give back emotionally to a group of kids who have given all their heart for four seasons.

Really good read. We are spoiled and part of that is fueled by the feeling that every week is going to be an easy win. That will make you complacent. Attendance has been affected. I have a feeling this week will be different and the crowd will be great. Thanks for posting this ATL. :thumb:

- Belfry has outscored their competition 2177-757 over the past four seasons, an average Final Score of 38-13.
As good as these guys have been, they step it up a notch when the weather turns cold. They have peaked during the playoffs (a trait common to Philip Haywood teams) and have been perfect.

In the 17 playoff games they have outscored the opponent 690-110, an average margin of 41-7

Defense has been incredible.

I want to make it abundantly clear, the entire purpose of this article is not to brag or lecture the Belfry fanbase to be "better fans".

The bottom line is when you have a Senior Class that has changed the landscape of your program and Kentucky High School football, and this is their last time playing at home, they have deserved the right to look back and say "Man! That last home game I will always remember!"

I want to make it abundantly clear, the entire purpose of this article is not to brag or lecture the Belfry fanbase to be "better fans".

The bottom line is when you have a Senior Class that has changed the landscape of your program and Kentucky High School football, and this is their last time playing at home, they have deserved the right to look back and say "Man! That last home game I will always remember!"

Great Article ATL!!! I think they should put this in the local paper this week and pass it out in school as well.

The Great and Fickle thing about High School Football is that you can not take anything for granted. It is not guaranteed to be the same come next season or the next. You have to appreciate it now.

This has been a GREAT Belfry squad no doubt! Best of luck the remainder of this season!

Go Pirates!

PS. The thing that sticks out to me when I think back about Belfry was a photo that Watusi or ATL shared of the local grocery store that rearranged dang near every coke 12 pack they had to make a cool Pirate picture because they were so proud of their team and I believe it was getting close to the start of their season! High School Football in these communities mean ALOT! Go Pirates!

These Belfry seniors are truly a special class. Belfry, and perhaps even the mountains, may never see it's like again.

Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, it's hard to fully appreciate this kind of greatness in the moment. Only after it's been gone awhile do you have the necessary perspective to see just how fortunate you were to bare witness.

How much of the decline in attendance at home games can be attributed to the lack of a serious threat to the Pirates right now?

I guess what I'm asking is... If Russell were unbeaten, had won every game by at least 3-4 TDs, and was the clear cut #2 team in 3A, would the fans turn out at the CAM this Friday like they did at Vipperman in 2004?

How much of the decline in attendance at home games can be attributed to the lack of a serious threat to the Pirates right now?

I guess what I'm asking is... If Russell were unbeaten, had won every game by at least 3-4 TDs, and was the clear cut #2 team in 3A, would the fans turn out at the CAM this Friday like they did at Vipperman in 2004?

I don't think it would be close...in fact I would say it probably wouldn't have even been an equal crowd to that 2006 Semi-Finals all things considered ... at least before Haywood asked for a big turnout and this article got passed around.

The apathy seemed to start after that 2007 season. In 2008 it was a pretty mundane crowd when Breathitt upset Belfry in the Semi's at home. 2009 Belfry was just a bad football team. In 2010, there was a little spike as that Belfry vs. Somerset Semi-Final was a great atmosphere (Belfry was an underdog story that year and had just upset a heavily favored Mason County the round prior).

I had the privledge to see some of the pirates at an early age in 8th grade you could tell then they were a special bunch .Bentley,Horton,I believe Hall and Catron the true leader of this bunch.They were all on the Ky state and they were fun to watch then.Congrates to all on their HS achievments.

I don't think it would be close...in fact I would say it probably wouldn't have even been an equal crowd to that 2006 Semi-Finals all things considered ... at least before Haywood asked for a big turnout and this article got passed around.

The apathy seemed to start after that 2007 season. In 2008 it was a pretty mundane crowd when Breathitt upset Belfry in the Semi's at home. 2009 Belfry was just a bad football team. In 2010, there was a little spike as that Belfry vs. Somerset Semi-Final was a great atmosphere (Belfry was an underdog story that year and had just upset a heavily favored Mason County the round prior).

That same apathy can be found in a lot of places, including Flatwoods. On top of that, when you have the option to stay home and watch the game being streamed live online, it makes it hard to find the motivation to get out and watch your team throttle an opponent that's thoroughly outgunned.

I can't lie, I did that very thing this year when Russell hosted Pendleton County. I was planning on going right up until the very last minute and I thought, "I'm comfortable, I'm hungry, and Russell should destroy this team. They don't really need me there tonight. I'll just watch it online." Next thing I know, I've talked myself out of going. I'm sure there are a lot of people reading this post right now that have done the same thing.

It's been a long time since Henry R. Evans Stadium has seen this type of atmosphere from the home fans...