(Phelps) Hornet's Practice Shows Promise

Watusi

Hornet's Practice Shows Promise

The Williamson Daily News

PHELPS, Ky. — Teams across the state of Kentucky are braving the heat during the first week of football practice and the Phelps Hornets are no different.

The Hornets are on the precipice of what they believe will be a breakout year. The team has struggled with many adversities over the last decade but the squad has every opportunity to make a statement this season. They have a new field, a new coach, and a new attitude towards the game. The small Class-A team will spend one year out of district play before returning in 2017.

The Hornets are riding a momentum wave right now; one that the entire school is riding together. Last season the Hornets started the season and ended the season with less than 15 players, now the Hornets have 26 players regularly at practice. The Hornets have gained the attention of a few athletes who stayed focused on basketball and baseball last season but are now lacing up their cleats for a new year. Christian Mounts and Peyton Rife will now be three sport athletes which is a crucial key to most Class-A schools success.

Link To Full Article

I think that's great for Phelps. Tough area for them to draw players from and be consistently successful given the size of the school and other difficulties — such as extreme isolation and economic issues — to deal with.

I do wonder this: Why is David Jones never mentioned in the article beyond just in passing as part of a direct quote, where he's referred to as "Coach Jones?" Seems like the WDN missed out on making this a better feature story by not going into further depth with Jones' ties to WVa, Belfry and UK.

Also was curious as to why it is the "pike County Bowl" and "east Ridge," but that's the proofreader in me.

They have done other articles about Jones taking over the program and highlighting his background etc.

Gotcha. At worst, though, he should be mentioned on a first-name basis in the article, with a tiny bit of background. Would take just one sentence.

Gotta say I am excited for Phelps. I have had 6-8 conversations with Coach Jones since he took the job and I think Phelps is in good hands.

I think so too... but I do worry that this is just a stepping stone for Jones

I think there are some jobs in EKY that I wouldn't be surprised to see open in the next few years...namely a well known program in Floyd County whose mascot rhymes with "Smackbats".. that I could easily see come calling on Jones, needing some new blood and excitement as well as the ability to keep talent at home. If he shows the ability to get Phelps moving in the right direction I think you will see interest pick up in a hurry.

With that said Phelps is very close to home and family for Jones so I could also see him staying and trying to build something to be proud of and learning the Head Coaching game while not having a ton of pressure.

I think so too... but I do worry that this is just a stepping stone for Jones

I think there are some jobs in EKY that I wouldn't be surprised to see open in the next few years...namely a well known program in Floyd County whose mascot rhymes with "Smackbats".. that I could easily see come calling on Jones, needing some new blood and excitement as well as the ability to keep talent at home. If he shows the ability to get Phelps moving in the right direction I think you will see interest pick up in a hurry.

With that said Phelps is very close to home and family for Jones so I could also see him staying and trying to build something to be proud of and learning the Head Coaching game while not having a ton of pressure.

I cant say I disagree with you and that it would be wrong if he did just that (you have to take the opportunities as they come to you), but I think Coach Jones wants to at least right the ship at Phelps, perhaps maybe leaving it in good hands in a few years.