'White guilt' video shown to high school students irks community

BigVMan23

This should spark some lively debate. Video can be seen at the bottom of the linked article.

'White guilt' video shown to high school students irks community | Fox News

An animated film designed as a lesson in “racial discourse” for students at a Virginia high school has led to backlash from community members who’ve taken issue with not-so subtle references to so-called white privilege throughout the video.

“They are sitting there watching a video that is dividing them up from a racial standpoint. It's a White guilt kind of video,” Don Blake, whose granddaughter attended the assembly where the video was shown, told told WWBT. “I think somebody should be held accountable for this.”

Officials at Glen Allen High School in Henrico said in a statement that the video, “The Unequal Opportunity Race,” was a presentation involving “American history and racial discourse.”

"I think somebody should be held accountable for this."

- Don Blake

They added, “A segment of the video was one component of a thoughtful discussion in which all viewpoints were encouraged. As always, we are welcoming of feedback from students and their families, and we address concerns directly as they come forward.”

As the video begins, four athletes take their marks at the start of a race. While two white athletes immediately take off at the sound of the starting gun, two non-white athletes must remain in the starting block while a red light blocks their path. The non-white athletes are bombarded with words such as “slavery,” “broken treaties,” “genocide” and “segregation.” The white athletes continually run around the track, getting older as their batons – marked with a money symbol – grow larger and larger. Eventually they hand the baton off to a younger white athlete running beside them.

More than a minute into the animated video, the non-white athletes finally get to start the race. But as soon as they begin running, the pair is beset by rocks, potholes, sharks and rain clouds symbolizing “standardized tests,” “discrimination” and the “school to prison pipeline.” The white male athlete, holding a water bottle marked “Yale,” eventually wins the race without even having to run – he takes his place on a fast-moving conveyor belt as the word “privilege” follows him. He crosses the finish line just ahead of the white female.

As the four-minute film ends a message flashes across the screen: “Affirmative action helps level the playing field.”

Radio personality Craig Johnson said the discussion should not be focused on skin color.

“The reality of it, it’s over. The aftermath of it is poverty pimps that will not let it die,” Johnson told WWBT. “Dr. [Martin Luther] King gave his life so that America would be a pace where we are judged by the content of our character, not the color of our skin.”

My feelings on this issue is this...

I have no problem discussing race showcasing the obstacles that people have had to overcome living in America. Chinese laborers with central pacific, slavery, etc. I think these topics should be discussed and should encourage debate. However, I believe the biggest problems that many have with discussing race is what I call the "oppression olympics" where everybody's plight has more grievances than the other. One example I can't stand is assuming that because someone is black, I have to assume that person has had the short end of the stick in life and I should recognize my "privilege". They want to paint an entire race with one brush. Not many people know that few have benefitted from slavery and that the poll tax affected as many white people as it did blacks back in the day. People want others to acknowledge their differences so much that it has become all some people care about when it comes race. Identity politics and generalizing has a lot to do with this.

This is the problem with discussing race/racism. Everyone wants it to magically disappear without having a true honest, no holds barred discussion about it. Everyone listens to their own narrative and the conversation never advances. I still hold the belief that social media has negatively impacted race relations. It seems like in the 90s things were much better racially than they are now and the only thing I can think of is the outlet social media gives to express their true feelings. A lot of us are finding out that our family, friends and co-workers aren't who we thought they were.

I understand why people wouldn't like this video but it sparks a dialogue that needs to be had whether people agree with the video or not. That video is showing a perception and people will dismiss that perception because they don't like what it says. That in turn then distorts the reality even worse. What makes that even more troubling is that depending on which category you fall in on that video your reality doesn't change.

If the intent of the video was to start a discussion in the classroom then it is great.

If it's intent is to say "here's how it is" then it missed a great opportunity.

Kids are going to repeat mainly what they hear at home. This will give them a chance to say those things and THEN hear a response that would hopefully cause them to THINK.

If the result of the video is that kids had to THINK then it was successful.

If the intent of the video was to start a discussion in the classroom then it is great.

If it's intent is to say "here's how it is" then it missed a great opportunity.

Kids are going to repeat mainly what they hear at home. This will give them a chance to say those things and THEN hear a response that would hopefully cause them to THINK.

If the result of the video is that kids had to THINK then it was successful.

With that said too may parents who are NOT thinkers would ruin it and complain because it didn't line up with their POV.

I want to show this video to my 8th grade.

If you are looking for an informative video on the origins or bigotry, racism and stereotyping, you need to watch the "Through the Wormhole" episode titled "Are We All Bigots?." Very interesting episode that takes a scientific approach to addressing the roots of bigotry. I think most people on here would benefit greatly from watching it, honestly.

Also, it is narrated by Morgan Freeman so you know its good.