KHSAA Sanctions Graves County Boys' Basketball for Bylaw 16 Violations

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 19, 2016

The KHSAA has handed down sanctions to Graves County High School resulting from improper open gym activities involving its boys’ basketball program during the 2014-15 academic year. During the course of its investigation, the KHSAA found Graves County to be in violation of Bylaw 16 “Recruitment/Undue Influence” for conducting open gym activities where student-athletes from other member schools participated without express consent from their respective school’s principal designated representative.

In addition, Graves County boys’ basketball assistant coach Lyndon Dunning was found to be in violation of Bylaw 16 for impermissible contact with the family of a student-athlete at another member school (Hickman County) regarding the open gym activities.

“Graves County Schools will in no way tolerate violations of the KHSAA Bylaws,” said Graves County principal Matthew Madding. “We take a great deal of pride in our compliant membership with the KHSAA and have already begun taking steps to ensure the issues at hand are corrected immediately.”

Upon conclusion of its investigation, the KHSAA handed down the following penalties:

· Graves County Assistant coach Dunning will be suspended for the next three (3) official contests beginning on Monday, Jan. 18th.

· All contracts for boys’ basketball games scheduled between Hickman County HS and Graves County HS shall be considered null and void, with neither team having forfeiture penalties applied.

· The Graves County boys’ basketball program is hereby placed on probation through the 2016-17 academic year. Such probation shall not prohibit Graves County from participating in postseason play. During this time, Graves County will be on conditional membership with the Association and shall be expected to take the necessary steps to remedy the problems which led to these violations. The KHSAA will assign an Assistant Commissioner to work with Graves County to ensure development of policies, procedures and best practices to implement within the athletic program.

· A fine in the amount of $1,500 was imposed on Graves County. The amount is an aggregate and consolidated penalty from the specific violations regarding the illegal contact and improper administration of offseason practices.

“The administration of Graves County High School has been forthcoming and cooperative throughout this review and I have every confidence that this situation was isolated and will not be repeated,” said KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett.

The KHSAA will have no further comment on this matter. All media inquiries should be directed to the Principal at Graves County.

01/19/16 ? KHSAA Sanctions Graves County Boys? Basketball for Bylaw 16 Violations | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kid transferred there is why this went down.

Ohhh. How did they prove that he was "recruited" at open gym? I've always perceived these situations as tough to prove because a kid who transfers isn't going to admit that they were recruited. The most common by-laws that are always forgotten, by everybody, including the khsaa, is that A. You can't recruit and B. You can't transfer for sports, even if you do move.

This is an interesting case. They've nailed them on "recruiting". Wonder how they proved it?

Pandora's box here. Playing in an open gym without the "express consent" or the coach? So the hosting school has to confirm that the kids that play in an open gym have the "express consent" from their coach, or they are subject to sanctions? I understand the underlying rationale, but I understand the rationale for Prohibition in the 20's, too. I don't think either is enforceable. I have seen pick up games the past several years that included MANY of the best players in northern Kentucky, that happened to occur in high school gyms, and I am relatively certain no one was checking to see if everyone had "express consent". What does that even mean? Can it be verbal? Can it be blanket, as to all players?

Kids want to play during the summer, and the elite kids want to play with the elite kids. KHSAA shouldn't tell them they have to get the coach to sign off on it IMO.