Comparing Well Known 5A Programs to College Football

ATLCat

Highlands= USC

The History is undeniable, and their great teams are revered as legends. A program that most envy and a long history of sending players to the next level where they become iconic. A bit of uncertain times that circle around Head Coaching, but a program that the safe money would be that they will not stay down long.

Bowling Green= Florida (pre-2010)

A program nearly all respects and most consider a powerhouse, but their trophy case had not reflected that. Then suddenly they took the next step and became the pre-eminent program for a stretch of time with a multitude of weapons.

Pulaski County= Tennesse (1990's)

A solid program that has taken it to the next level. Known for elite QB's who put up massive stats, they were as good as anyone for about a 4-5 year window but only hoisted one trophy to show for it. Will they be able to sustain success or will the other powerhouses in their Conference take back over?

Owensboro= Oklahoma

History rich and consistently a Top 20 team for decades, after a long patch of falling into a "good, but not great" era they have seemingly began to compete for Championships once more. Still seemingly not quite to the elite level needed.

Covington Catholic= UCLA

A nice program and a quality school, but with the exception of a couple outlying years they simply cannot get to the level of their hated rival. Everyone knows their name, but they are second fiddle to the powerhouse up the road.

ATL, Love this!

A team many don't associate with 5A, but have settled in nicely is the Fern Creek Tigers.

I equate them to the Wisconsin Badgers of the Big Ten. Much passed over in their 6A days to more well-known programs (in this Big Ten example, Ohio State and Michigan). But always a tough out with old school tough defense and enough offense to keep you honest!

Who would be UK?

South Laurel

They have runs where you think they will put it all together and it just never happens. Basketball will always reign supreme and even when the talent seems to be there, they always have a couple teams in their District that they just cant beat

South Laurel

They have runs where you think they will put it all together and it just never happens. Basketball will always reign supreme and even when the talent seems to be there, they always have a couple teams in their District that they just cant beat

SL was on my mind as well..

Was also thinking Lincoln County for similar reasons.... Tough district to win, in good years they competed well within the district but struggle to get over the hump in the big games.

Also add in their success in basketball the past few years (girls and boys)...

Who's Louisville ?

I compared Boyle County to them in the 3A thread.

None of the 5A teams stand out enough to me as a proper comparison.

Maybe compare them in the early years of Petrino to South Oldham. A team that is rapidly ascending and has a ton of momentum. Not exactly playing a murderer's schedule but has became consistently good at winning the bigger games on their schedule but still not quite on the level to compete for a title.

SL was on my mind as well..

Was also thinking Lincoln County for similar reasons.... Tough district to win, in good years they competed well within the district but struggle to get over the hump in the big games.

Also add in their success in basketball the past few years (girls and boys)...

Sounds a lot like John Hardin and Warren Central.

I don't know if Highlands is more like Alabama. Great tradition, multiple championships, and the team everyone wants to see get beat. Highlands seems like the Evil empire in 5A football, and I say that with respect. Bana is the same way. So many fans wanted to see them go down against Ohio St last year. Same thing this year. Highlands was in that position last year. I'm sure they will rebound like Bama too.