Will Griner be suspended by the WNBA for Domestic Violence?

Mercury's Brittney Griner arrested on assault allegations

An argument between Phoenix Mercury star Brittney Griner and her fiancée turned physical on Wednesday afternoon, resulting in the arrests of both women on assault and disorderly conduct allegations, according to a police report.

Why isn't this all over the news, if any NBA, NFL, MLB or Major Sport College athlete was involved in the same situation they would already be suspended and there would be an outcry about Domestic Violence (as there should be) so why not in this case? Will the WNBA follow the lead of other leagues and suspend one or both of them?

Domestic Violence is the biggest headline grab in sports today...even if it's not all over the news why hasn't the W(omen's)NBA came out strongly about this and suspended them? I honestly think that in cases of Same Sex Domestic Abuse most people don't see it in the same light...but shouldn't it be?

Domestic Violence is the biggest headline grab in sports today...even if it's not all over the news why hasn't the W(omen's)NBA came out strongly about this and suspended them? I honestly think that in cases of Same Sex Domestic Abuse most people don't see it in the same light...but shouldn't it be?

When it comes to domestic violence, it catches most people's attention when the offender is perceived as stronger than the victim ie a husband/boyfriend beating up his wife/girlfriend or a parent abusing children or a younger person abusing an elderly person. When the offender and victim are perceived as evenly strengthed, it won't catch as much attention.

When it comes to domestic violence, it catches most people's attention when the offender is perceived as stronger than the victim ie a husband/boyfriend beating up his wife/girlfriend or a parent abusing children or a younger person abusing an elderly person. When the offender and victim are perceived as evenly strengthed, it won't catch as much attention.

It's Brittney Griner. No way her significant other is as remotely close in strength.

It's Brittney Griner. No way her significant other is as remotely close in strength.

True but in general, my guess is most people here about this incident and dismiss it too easily since it is female on female violence regardless to Brittney Griner being the offender.

Maybe in height there is a difference. I wouldn't say they aren't remotely close in strength. They are separated by 5 inches and about 30 pounds. One is a center and the other is a forward. They are both women. They both play in the WNBA. They were both exceptional players in college. I doubt Griner is a whole lot stronger in the other. To answer your question, nobody cares about the WNBA. They could suspend them both and no one would bat an eye. Hell, Griner's team will probably still win the title without her. It'd be a whole lot different in the WNBA was as popular as the NBA but it isn't. It's amazing the league is still staying afloat financially. Nobody cares. That's why this isn't major news. Hell, an article here on BGP about Owensboro beating a WNBA team brought out discussion and tons of belief that a high school boys state champion would beat a WNBA team. :lol2:

To be brutally honest, I forget that the WNBA even exists until a story like this one breaks.

Per Wikipedia, here is the average attendance for US/Canadian professional sports leagues:

The following professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada average over four-thousand fans in attendance per game:

Mercury's Brittney Griner arrested on assault allegations

Why isn't this all over the news, if any NBA, NFL, MLB or Major Sport College athlete was involved in the same situation they would already be suspended and there would be an outcry about Domestic Violence (as there should be) so why not in this case? Will the WNBA follow the lead of other leagues and suspend one or both of them?

7 days later and 163 views for this thread. If the WNBA was as large as the NBA, NFL, MLB or the NCAA then this story would be large. In fact, had this happened when she was at Baylor then this story would have gotten a ton of play. Nobody cares about the WNBA. I'm hearing scuttlebutt that there isn't a domestic abuse policy in the WNBA but that she will likely be suspended anyways.